This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.2412 / 52°14'28"N
Longitude: -0.8905 / 0°53'25"W
OS Eastings: 475853
OS Northings: 260909
OS Grid: SP758609
Mapcode National: GBR BW8.HP8
Mapcode Global: VHDRZ.JX2T
Entry Name: Former G T Hawkins Factory, Part Originally Hornby and West
Listing Date: 2 December 2003
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1390677
English Heritage Legacy ID: 491158
Location: Northampton, Northamptonshire, NN1
Electoral Ward/Division: Castle
Built-Up Area: Northampton
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Northampton St Michael and All Angels with St Edmund
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
725/0/10044 OVERSTONE ROAD
02-DEC-03 Former G.T. Hawkins factory, part orig
inally Hornby and West
ST. MICHAEL'S ROAD
Former G.T. hawkins factory, part orig
inally Hornby and West
Former Boot and shoe factory, at present vacant. Built in several phases by 2 different companies and then finally amalgamated to form a single large factory. c.1875, extended later C19. Late 1880's. 2 further ranges 1890's. Early C20 alterations. Mainly red or polychrome brick with slate roofs and iron framed windows.
Range on corner of Overstone Rd. and St. Michael's Rd. c.1875, originally Hornby and West factory. 3 storeys and basement. 7-window range to each road and 2 canted bays on the corner. Facade is characterised by decorative brickwork and massive piers between windows culminating in projecting heads to top floor windows forming frieze below dentil eaves cornice. Early extension to front on Overstone Rd. and 7-window extension on St. Michael's Rd. probably of 1890's.
Range on Overstone Rd. and corner of Dunster St. Late 1880's. G.T. Hawkins original factory: 3 higher storeys of mostly intact iron framed windows. 2 ornamental gables to Overstone Rd. front, and ornamental gable end to Dunster St. Ornamental entrance on Overstone Rd. First floor may have been mainly for clicking, second floor for finishing: there is a taking-in door in the middle of the Overstone Rd. front.
Range on Dunster St. next to above, 1890's, built as extension to above. 3 storeys over basement. 9-window range in all of iron-framed windows and taking-in doors. The 1899 Goad plan indicates use as warehouse and factory.
Range on St. Michael's Rd. to east of original Hornby and West factory. 1890's, for G.T. Hawkins. 4 high storeys over basement. 10-window range in all of wooden, mainly tripartite, windows with glazing bars. 2 facing gables are supported on tall pilaster strips. Entrance doorways and some round-arched windows on ground floor.
HISTORY Between 1912 and 1916 G.T.Hawkins acquired the former Hornby and West factory adjacent to their own and began a series of alterations designed to integrate the various elements of the site both on the ground and upper floors. In the Hawkins Overstone Rd. range a director's room with panelling and a stair were introduced.
An important and little-altered complex of buildings of this important period for the industry. Part of the most significant group of buildings of the boot and shoe industry in Northampton with the Globe works next door (q.v.), the curriers in Dunster St. opposite (q.v.), and the Trickers factory (q.v.) further down St. Michael's Rd.
English Heritage Northamptonshire Boot and Shoe Industry Report, pp.4, 35 and 39, and Site Report No.48.
Goad Insurance plan 1899.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings