This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5176 / 51°31'3"N
Longitude: -0.289 / 0°17'20"W
OS Eastings: 518812
OS Northings: 181235
OS Grid: TQ188812
Mapcode National: GBR 7X.3SN
Mapcode Global: VHGQW.Y31Z
Entry Name: North Ealing Station, Including Footbridge
Listing Date: 30 October 2003
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1390751
English Heritage Legacy ID: 491323
Location: Ealing, London, W5
Electoral Ward/Division: Hanger Hill
Built-Up Area: Ealing
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: The Ascension, Hanger Hill
Church of England Diocese: London
962/0/10075 STATION ROAD
30-OCT-03 North Ealing Station, including
Underground Station. 1899 by the District Railway, but opened only on 23 June 1903 after electric traction had been installed. Roughcast brick, with red brick and stone dressings on red-brick plinth, slate roof with red brick stacks. The main building is on the west side of the tracks, rectangular and of two storeys, with booking hall. A bridge leads to the eastbound platform, which is served by a timber shelter.
Main building is a symmetrical composition to entrance frontage (car park), with small projecting canopy on cast-iron brackets and with dentilled cornice. Gable above on timber brackets with Venetian window in centre, flanked by smaller openings, one now partly blocked. The upper floor has sash windows with small panes in the upper sashes, set into gables and dormers. Small panes throughout to the sashes on the lower floor. Double doors with small lights to upper section leads to central booking hall, with ticket office to left and office to right, retaining clock. Steps down to platform level pass under sign (TO TRAINS FOR HARROW AND UXBRIDGE) in heavy type with finger pointer, an early example of the standardised signage which Edward Johnson began to introduce after 1915. Canopy to rear elevation, then a separate platform canopy at bottom of steps, supported on timber posts and steel brackets, and with timber cheeks and bargeboards. Wrought-iron lattice girder footbridge with added roof. Smaller timber shelter on 'up' platform with proportionately large canopy and bargeboards.
North Ealing is the only station to survive from the era of the District Railway's westward expansion in 1899-1903, and is an extremely unaltered and unusually richly detailed example of a station from this era.
Laurence Menear, London's Underground Stations, London, Midas Books, 1983.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings