This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.7497 / 53°44'58"N
Longitude: -3.0321 / 3°1'55"W
OS Eastings: 332036
OS Northings: 428642
OS Grid: SD320286
Mapcode National: GBR 7T82.CK
Mapcode Global: WH85N.D0CQ
Entry Name: Public Offices
Listing Date: 28 November 2003
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1390771
English Heritage Legacy ID: 491386
Location: Saint Anne's on the Sea, Fylde, Lancashire, FY8
Civil Parish: Saint Anne's on the Sea
Built-Up Area: Lytham St Anne's
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
Church of England Parish: St Annes on Sea St Anne (Heyhouses)
Church of England Diocese: Blackburn
621-1/0/10013 CLIFTON DRIVE
Public Offices. 1902, extended 1907, and with late C20 alterations and additions. By Thomas Muirhead, architect, of Manchester for Lytham St Annes Urban District Council. Accrington red brick with ashlar sandstone dressings and detailing, gable and eaves chimney stacks with moulded caps, coped gables and a slate roof covering.
PLAN: Elongated L-plan complex with symmetrical street frontage range and long, plainly-detailed service range added to rear.
EXTERIOR: Clifton Drive South elevation of 5 bays, 2 storeys above a basement, set behind brick walls with concave depressions supporting railings. Symmetrical frontage with central 3 bays advanced, with wide semi-circular banded arch to central doorway, set beneath flat canopy set on elongated brackets. Flanking the doorway are paired 6 over 9 pane sash windows set on an ashlar cill band and below a moulded string course. The advanced 3 bays are delineated by angled corner shafts carried on moulded corbels, and terminating at moulded finials to short curved copings. Above the doorway is a wide storey band with ashlar panels incorporating raised lettering which reads 'PUBLIC OFFICES 1900 ' Above, 3 sunken bay windows with semi-circular centre lights, separated by banded pilasters. Angled returns to set-back end bays, with paired sash windows to both floors. INTERIOR: Entrance vestibule with moulded plaster cornices leads onto stair with turned balusters, moulded ramped handrails and elaborate panelled newel posts. Ground floor doorways with moulded surrounds, panelled doors and wide multi-pane overlights. Upper floor with former council chamber accessed by means of elaborate panelled doors with etched glass glazing. Ceiling with vaulted centre section, and with exposed roof trusses with moulded queen posts. Other rooms retain original hearth surrounds with overmantles and other items of original joinery.
A prominent and carefully-designed public building, carefully sited on a principal street frontage within the centre of the rapidly-developing planned settlement of Lytham St. Anne's. The building is an expression in contemporary architectural form of the confidence of a local authority, and is a little -altered example of a significant late C19/early C20 municipal building type.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings