This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5525 / 51°33'8"N
Longitude: -0.6833 / 0°41'0"W
OS Eastings: 491385
OS Northings: 184551
OS Grid: SU913845
Mapcode National: GBR F7J.N19
Mapcode Global: VHFT1.37LQ
Entry Name: Covered Tennis Court, Cliveden Estate
Listing Date: 26 April 2004
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1390848
English Heritage Legacy ID: 491133
Location: Taplow, South Bucks, Buckinghamshire, SL6
District: South Bucks
Civil Parish: Taplow
Traditional County: Buckinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Taplow
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
411/0/10056 Covered Tennis Court, Cliveden Estate
Covered tennis court. C 1900, designer unknown. Grey and red brick exterior, partially glazed roof. Classical exterior, with a triple-arched ground floor to the main gabled west-facing end, the arched openings now in-filled with boarding; above is a large window with wrought iron balcony, carried on a stone ledge, the tall window opening being set within a rusticated surround with a segmental arch above. Recessed side bays. To the south side is an end pavilion with arched ground floor entrances and bull's-eye windows to the upper floor. The other sides have had lower ancillary structures built up against them, and these are not regarded as possessing special interest.
INTERIOR: A large tennis court, spanned with an open bowstring-trussed roof. Lesser rooms run around the sides.
HISTORY: located about half a mile to the south-east of the house, this building formed a notable addition to the amenities of the Cliveden estate during the Astor years, and is listed as a notable building for sport of its day. During the First World War it was used as a Canadian military hospital, and was subsequently joined to a large hospital complex to the south, commenced in 1915 to the designs of Major Charles Skipper.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings