This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.7501 / 53°45'0"N
Longitude: -0.3188 / 0°19'7"W
OS Eastings: 510958
OS Northings: 429504
OS Grid: TA109295
Mapcode National: GBR GSM.B3
Mapcode Global: WHHGQ.2ZHZ
Entry Name: James Reckitt Library
Listing Date: 31 August 2004
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1391073
English Heritage Legacy ID: 491348
Location: Kingston upon Hull, HU9
County: City of Kingston upon Hull
Electoral Ward/Division: Drypool
Built-Up Area: Kingston upon Hull
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Riding of Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Hull, Drypool St Columba
Church of England Diocese: York
KINGSTON UPON HULL
680-1/0/10087 HOLDERNESS ROAD
31-AUG-04 James Reckitt Library
Public Library. 1888-89, altered late C20. Designed by W A Gelder of Hull. Red brick with ashlar dressings and slate roofs. 2 storey. Gothic Revival style. Moulded ashlar plinth. Tall brick chimney stacks.
Main street front has 7 window and a projecting centre. Central entrance has pointed arched doorway with brick and stone voussoirs and an ashlar hood mould, double plank doors with ornate iron hinges reached up a flight of 5 stone steps. Either side three pointed arched windows, also with brick and stone voussoirs and linking cill and impost ashlar bands. Above a broad ashlar band inscribed 'THE JAMES RECKITT PUBLIC LIBRARY'. First floor has canted ashlar oriel window to slightly projecting central bay, flanked by 3 windows on either side with ashlar lintels and continuous hood mould. Moulded and bracketted eaves cornice with ashlar parpet above pierced by 5 quatrofoil openings on each side. Central bay rises as a tower with a 3-light cross-casement window with ashlar lintel, four corner pinnacles all truncated, former pyramidal tower roof missing.
INTERIOR retains many original features including moulded coving and skirting boards. Foyer retains unusual timber doorcases with bratished hoods. Main ground floor library has moulded Gothic-style columns supporting shallow pointed arches forming a double arcade. Modern false ceilings conceal original ceilings supported on moulded timber braces. Original timber issuing desk survives with blind arcading on front and one side. Reference library contains two original fitted glass cupboards, the larger one bears dedication plaque inscribed 'This Reference Library given by FRANCIS RECKITT Esq JP of CAENWOOD Towers, Highgate, London.' Main staircase has bold turned balusters and newel posts. Old Reading room has open ceiling supported on timber braces and moulded corbels.
This public library for eastern Hull was opened by the Marquis of Ripon on Tuesday Dec 10th, 1889.
This is a relatively early example of a major municipal library. Though the exterior has lost its tower roof - due to war damage - the remains of the exterior survives intact and the interior retains a remarkable number of original interior features.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings