This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.6231 / 52°37'23"N
Longitude: -1.1117 / 1°6'41"W
OS Eastings: 460232
OS Northings: 303190
OS Grid: SK602031
Mapcode National: GBR FMP.HK
Mapcode Global: WHDJJ.WBTC
Entry Name: Eastfield Including Lamp Standard to Left of Front Door
Listing Date: 23 March 2004
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1391182
English Heritage Legacy ID: 490908
Location: Leicester, LE2
County: City of Leicester
Electoral Ward/Division: Stoneygate
Built-Up Area: Leicester
Traditional County: Leicestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire
Church of England Parish: Emmaus Team
Church of England Diocese: Leicester
718/0/10200 STANLEY ROAD
23-MAR-04 Eastfield including lamp standard to l
eft of front door.
Large suburban house. 1844, 1876, 1888, and 1904. 1844, for Joseph Cripps. 1876, possibly by Goodacre. 1888 and 1904 for C.S.Robinson. Gault brick with stone dressings and blue-grey fish-scale tile roofs with stone-coped gables. Elaborate stacks, some with multiple flues.
2 storeys and attic. Recessed centre between 2 gabled cross wings. Single-storey porch projecting from the centre. Windows in the centre section are mullion or mullion and transom windows with leaded lights, 3 to first floor, with date 1844 above under gablet with elaborate bargeboards and finial. One window either side front door with is double-leaved and has an elaborately leaded overlight. Gable to right dated 1876 has a canted 2-storey bay with plain sashes and a paired sash over. Gable to left has mullion and transom windows with glazing bar sashes or casements. Further sashes in section to left beyond which has a service door dated 1888. To far left a range with mullion and transom windows and a timber-framed first floor with boldly projecting canted oriel supported on large brackets. Leaded-light windows and date 1904 below sill. Further leaded-light canted oriel on left end and to rear garage doors, mullion and transom windows above and sashes and other windows in the yard service elevations. From the rear of this range extends the very large 1950's wing which is not of special architectural interest.
On the right end of the house are other mullion and transom windows with sashes and a large canted bay, probably of 1904, with leaded lights and finely patterned stained glass in art nouveau style.
Rear is similar with a mixture of mullion and transom windows and canted and square bays.
INTERIOR. House generally has panelled doors and skirtings of the various periods. Entrance hall has two-leaved door with patterned glass to upper glazed panels. Carved stone fireplace with crest in frieze. Wooden overmantel above and dado panelling to walls. Open-well stair has elaborate square newels, reeded string and balustrade with turned balusters. Room to right has white and grey veined marble fireplace. Room to rear right with large canted bay has entrance screen with columns and pilasters and ornamental plaster ceiling with cornice and frieze. Elliptical arched entrance to canted bay. Fireplace with wooden surround and marble inset. Central garden front room has plaster cornice with elaborate pierced decoration with flowers, fruit and foliage.
First floor room in 1904 wing has fireplace with wooden surround, columned screen to the front oriel and fitted radiator covers and cupboards, the latter probably for billiards equipment. Other simple fireplaces survive as do the back stairs.
LAMP STANDARD. Standing to the left of the front door is an elaborate cast-iron lamp standard with hexagonal lantern and ornamental domed cresting.
This is a good quality suburban villa which has an interesting evolution from 1844 to 1904. It was built in 4 stages and 3 have left characteristic features both inside and out. The result is a large house of quality and character with many internal features surviving. It has been in institutional use since the war and the large wing added in the 1950's is not of special architectural interest.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings