This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.6165 / 52°36'59"N
Longitude: -1.1418 / 1°8'30"W
OS Eastings: 458197
OS Northings: 302427
OS Grid: SK581024
Mapcode National: GBR FDR.XY
Mapcode Global: WHDJJ.FHHG
Entry Name: Gas Works Gatehouse with Clocktower
Listing Date: 29 September 2004
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1391186
English Heritage Legacy ID: 492508
Location: Leicester, LE2
County: City of Leicester
Civil Parish: Non Civil Parish
Unitary Authority Ward: Saffron
Traditional County: Leicestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire
Church of England Parish: Leicester The Holy Spirit
Church of England Diocese: Leicester
718/0/10221 AYLESTONE ROAD
Gas Works gatehouse with clocktower.
Gatehouse and Clock tower. 1879 by Shenton and Baker for Leicester Corporation Gas Undertaking. Rear extension dated 1898. They formed part of Aylestone Road Gas Works. Red brick, moulded brick and stone dressings, slate roofs, the tower with fishscale slate roofs. Gatehouse. Single storey, two symmetrical bays to Aylestone Road, formerly four bays. Two pairs of sashes in chamfered stone architraves. Upper sashes small paned, the lower sashes plain. Stone cill band, with recessed brick panels beneath. Moulded brick band to plinths of outer bays and band of moulded brick rosettes above windows. Continuous moulded brick band to frieze. Brick dentil cornice. Gables have moulded stone cornices and kneelers, plain stone copings. Each has gable oculus in moulded brick opening. Rebuilt south gable has small window openings replacing single original window. North gable remains unaltered. Tall narrow ridge stack with recessed brick panels, and moulded brick bands and caps.
Clocktower. Entrance to north, set forward. Entrance in simply moulded stone architrave set between flush stone bands. Pair of small -panelled doors under small- paned overlight. Band of moulded brick rosettes to frieze. Dentil cornice. Above, blind moulded lunette with glazed oculus. Moulded brick rosettes to the spandrels. Red brick campanile, plain brick pilasters at the angles, with sunk panels to the upper two stages. Moulded brick storey bands. Small vertical openings in flush stone surrounds to lower stages. Clock to each face, set in moulded brick and stone surround, supported visually by corbel table to stage below. Ogival roof of fishscale slates surmounted by weathervane. Rear extension, dated 1898, of five asymmetrical bays. Pedimented second bay with moulded rosette band to frieze, otherwise a plain frieze with single rosette to each bay, and dentil cornice. Engineering brick base. Four timber windows, some sections small paned, each under segmental brick arch with a stone keystone and cill. Enriched window opening to pedimented bay. Northern bay has replaced glazed panelled windows. Slate roof with splayed roofed fleche surmounted by a weathervane.
Aylestone Road elevation. Pair of cast iron lampstands, with four-sided glazed gas lanterns, behind low curved parapet wall, the latter reconstructed after the reduction of the gatehouse.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings