This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.74 / 52°44'24"N
Longitude: -1.353 / 1°21'10"W
OS Eastings: 443776
OS Northings: 316018
OS Grid: SK437160
Mapcode National: GBR 7JP.6R3
Mapcode Global: WHDHV.5DY8
Entry Name: Three Horseshoes Public House
Listing Date: 18 February 2005
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1391321
English Heritage Legacy ID: 492090
Location: North West Leicestershire, Leicestershire, LE67
District: North West Leicestershire
Town: North West Leicestershire
Civil Parish: Whitwick
Built-Up Area: Coalville
Traditional County: Leicestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire
Church of England Parish: Whitwick St John Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Leicester
52/0/10013 LEICESTER ROAD
Three Horseshoes Public House
Public house. Two cottages of early/mid C19, converted and extended with a front range to form public house in 1882. Red brick with hipped slate roof to front and plain tile roof to rear range. Various side and rear brick stacks. 2 storeys. Front 1882 wing (plaque on front elevation)is a 3-window range at first floor of 6/6 sashes. Below is the front door with overlight with a tripartite window either side with 1/1 sashes. Window openings and front door have incised stucco lintels with keystones. Painted stone sills. Margin light sashes to sides except for left upper 1/1 sash. To right rear is the original earlier C19 range with truncated gable end stack. C20 windows to front. Attached to far right is a single-storey outbuilding which projects forward and has gable end to road.
INTERIOR. Ground floor to front has 2 rooms with central servey. Front door opens into internal partially glazed timber lobby with an off-sales hatch facing. Public bar (entered by doorway with overlight above to left side of the lobby) has red quarry tiles to floor, late C19 panelled bar fittings and 2 fireplaces with timber and tiled surrounds. Fixed timber benches to external walls. Saloon bar (entered by doorway to right side of the lobby) has boarded floor and hatch to communicate with servery. Fireplace has carved timber surround. Dado rail to wall.
HISTORY. Whitwick, situated on the edge of the Charnwood Forest and in the former long-established Leicestershire coalfield, developed as a mining community following the opening of the Whitwick Colliery in the 1820's. The development along Leicester Road was largely undertaken 1850-1900 and public houses such as this one opened to serve the expanding population. The colliery closed in the late C20. However the Three Horseshoes (also know locally as 'Pollys' after a popular former barmaid), remains as a remarkably complete survival of a rare two-room working man's public house of the later C19.
The CAMRA National Inventory of Pub Interiors of Outstanding Historic Interest, CAMRA, 2003.
Smith, S., A Brief History of Whitwick, Leicestershire Libraries, 1984.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings