This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.595 / 53°35'42"N
Longitude: -0.6553 / 0°39'19"W
OS Eastings: 489096
OS Northings: 411782
OS Grid: SE890117
Mapcode National: GBR RVVW.X0
Mapcode Global: WHGG5.XW4V
Entry Name: Angel War Memorial
Listing Date: 16 September 2005
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1391399
English Heritage Legacy ID: 494325
Location: North Lincolnshire, DN15
County: North Lincolnshire
Electoral Ward/Division: Crosby and Park
Built-Up Area: Scunthorpe
Traditional County: Lincolnshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire
Church of England Parish: Crosby St George
Church of England Diocese: Lincoln
1109/0/10010 FRODINGHAM ROAD
16-SEP-05 Angel War Memorial
First World War memorial. 1923. Stone mason A E Walters. White marble.
Angel with spread wings, head bowed, pointing to the sky with right hand and holding a laurel wreath in the left. Stands on square pedestal inscribed in black lettering on all sides.
Front has a relief carving including a flag, shield and laurel leaves framing the inscription:
"THE LAST DESPATCH"
NOW FOR PEACE
Upon the plinth below is the mason's name A E Walters.
Right hand side has the inscription (Alfred Garrett added in 1925):
THE ROLL OF HONOUR
IN BEAUTY OF YOUTH BUOYANT, SERENE
THEY STEPPED FROM THE SCHOOL TO THE BATTLE SCENE
113 OLD BOYS JOINED HIS MAJESTY'S FORCES
DOLCE ET DECORUM PRO PATRIA MORT
SIC ITUR ASTRA
Rear has the inscription (added 1925):
THEY HEARD THE CALL AND RUSHED TO FALL
A SACRICE FOR ALL
H BIRKETT A NORWOOD
J BOOTHBY E PITTAWAY
N BUDWORTH T POPPLE
JW BOWERS G ROBERTS
T W BOWDEN E W ROBINSON
J BYCROFT G H ROSE
C COOK W H RYLANCE
J COWAN W SELBY
D CUNNINGHAM C SHAW
J W COWLING L SISSONS
H E DANIELS G SIMMS
G CALVERT F E SELLERS
J DALE A H SELLERS
W H DYMOND F SILVESTER
J FORREST G W SMITH
C S FOSTER J W STANDERLINE
A FROST W STREETS
J FOWLER G E STURMAN
GA HALL W STOW
G HARLEY W SPRIGGS
T G HARPHAM A L WARD
F HARE A S WILSON
A HAVERCROFT W J WELTON
J HAVERCROFT W HARPER
A NEWSTEAD J J POGSON
Left hand side has the inscription (added 1925):
DURING THE GREAT WAR THE SCHOOL BOYS COLLECTED
WASTE MATERIALS ALL OVER THE DISTRICT, AND WITH
THE MONEY REALISED THEREFROM BOUGHT WAR SAVINGS
CERTIFICATES, WHICH IN 1923 WERE CONVERTED INTO THIS MONUMENT
AS A HUMBLE TRIBUTE TO THE MEMORY
OF THE OLD BOYS OF THIS SCHOOL, AND OF ALL FROM
THIS PARISH, WHO SACRIFICED THEIR LIFE DURING THE
G TAYLOR (INTER C.A. LOND) HEAD MASTER
"HIS UNWEARIED LABOURS HIS LIFETIME OF PURPOSE INSPIRED HIS
PUPILS TO ERECT THIS MEMORIAL."
Summary of Importance
There is a presumption in favour of listing all free standing war memorials. This example has additional special interest for the detailed inscriptions and the way in which funds were raised for its erection.
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 23 January 2017.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings