This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7626 / 51°45'45"N
Longitude: -1.259 / 1°15'32"W
OS Eastings: 451234
OS Northings: 207365
OS Grid: SP512073
Mapcode National: GBR 8YY.DHP
Mapcode Global: VHCXN.4Y8N
Entry Name: 3, Norham Gardens
Listing Date: 27 March 2003
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1391542
English Heritage Legacy ID: 495790
Location: Oxford, Oxfordshire, OX2
Electoral Ward/Division: North
Built-Up Area: Oxford
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Oxford St Giles
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
612/0/10092 NORHAM GARDENS
House. Dated 1866, by Charles Buckeridge, for Henry Hammons, bookseller. New dining room and staircase wing added to west 1895, by G W Drinkwater for Mr Pilcher. Outer porch of similar date. Conservatory to east side added 1895 by J Weeks and Co of Chelsea. Minor alterations c.2000. Yellow brick in English bond; stone window dressings; plain tile roof. In Gothic style, with ogee arched windows throughout. 2 storeys, attic and basement.
Front to road has two gables with 2-light attic windows. 3-light windows below to left, ground floor in shallow ashlar bay. Irregular single lights to right. Porch projects to right of centre, with blind ogee tracery to ashlar gable, and shouldered stone arch over door with 4 plank panels. Timber outer porch on brick base, with lower gable, brattishing over 4-centred arch, and side lights with elaborated leaded glazing. Extension to right in matching style, with re-sited stair window dated 1866 and 1895. This has traceried lights with patterned leading and tinted glass. Extension is canted around corner, with steep hipped roof rising to small timbered gable. Right side has arched doorway added c.2000, gabled dormer and C20 fire escape. Left side has labels over windows, and 1895 timber conservatory with side gable and ornamental leaded glazing to top lights. Garden front to rear has full height canted bays, right with gabled dormer, centre with dormer lantern set into hip. Gabled addition to left has parapet and railings over bay with leaded glazing.
This is a finely detailed house of a strong Gothic character with an early extension typical of the North Oxford pattern of adding improved dining room accommodation. It is one of a series of large houses along the south side of Norham Gardens, in a prominent position overlooking the University Parks, and forming part of the flagship development at the outset of St John's North Oxford Estate. It is one of the most elaborately detailed, and all the houses form a strong architectural group.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings