This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.1572 / 54°9'26"N
Longitude: -1.8464 / 1°50'47"W
OS Eastings: 410126
OS Northings: 473501
OS Grid: SE101735
Mapcode National: GBR HNKC.1H
Mapcode Global: WHC7H.LRYV
Entry Name: Drinking Fountain
Listing Date: 15 May 2006
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1391664
English Heritage Legacy ID: 495359
Location: Fountains Earth, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, HG3
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Fountains Earth
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
1435/0/10020 NR. THROPE LANE
Drinking Fountain and War Memorial, C.18/19, remodelled 1920 by Duncan Drummond, local stonemason. Octagonal stone trough with central square stone monolith surmounted by a cross.
On the west side is a wooden plank door, with an inscription above in raised lettering "BUILT MARCH 1920", and decorative embellishments forming a round arch with prominent keystone. The south side is inscribed "A PINT OF COLD WATER THREE TIMES A DAY IS THE SUREST WAY TO KEEP THE DOCTOR AWAY. WHOSO THIRSTETH LET HIM COME HITHER AND DRINK", with similar embellishments above. The eastern side has a water tap and the inscription "ERECTED IN MEMORY OF THE MEN OF THIS PARISH WHO MADE THE GREAT SACRIFICE IN THE WAR 1914 1918", with the initials JR below and similar decoration abaove. The north side is the inscription "IF YOU WANT TO BE HEALTHY WEALTHY AND STOUT USE PLENTY OF COLD WATER INSIDE AND OUT. LET ANIMAL AND MAN DRINK FREELY", with the same style of decoration above. A raised cap on top of the block carries a plain stone cross.
The stone trough is currently filled with earth and flowers.
HISTORY: prior to the First World War the structure was a drinking fountain, with the trough and pillar in place but without the cross and inscriptions. A street lamp topped the pillar, which appears to have had a plainer top, at the turn of the century. The rebuilding work was financed by Mr John Rayner J.P. of Ripon, whose family had connections in Nidderdale, who were Methodists and strong on temperance. A second memorial to Victory was also built in the village.
SUMMARY OF IMPORTANCE
This First World War Memorial and drinking fountain meets the criteria for listing both as a record of the part this village played in the international events of the Great War, and as a well made and finely carved example of vernacular street furniture.
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 1 February 2017.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings