This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.8626 / 53°51'45"N
Longitude: -2.1326 / 2°7'57"W
OS Eastings: 391375
OS Northings: 440711
OS Grid: SD913407
Mapcode National: GBR FRKS.24
Mapcode Global: WHB7S.65QQ
Entry Name: Lychgate, Attached Boundary Wall and Steps at Hartley Homes
Listing Date: 9 October 2006
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1391776
English Heritage Legacy ID: 496373
Location: Colne, Pendle, Lancashire, BB8
Civil Parish: Colne
Built-Up Area: Colne
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
Church of England Parish: Colne Christ Church
Church of England Diocese: Blackburn
Lychgate, attached boundary wall and steps at Hartley Homes
A lychgate, associated boundary wall, railings, gates, steps, flanking walls, sundial pedestal and the plinth upon which it stands, and a retaining wall and ornamental stone balustrade built in 1911 by Sir William Pickles Hartley and Lady Hartley which form part of the boundary and features within the landscaped garden of Hartley Homes almshouses. Renovated in 1977 to commemorate the Queen's Silver Jubilee.
MATERIALS: Dressed local stone, timber, Westmorland slate, iron gates and railings.
PLAN: The lychgate and associated boundary wall, railings and gates run along the north side of Keighley Road and form the southern boundary of the Hartley Homes complex. Other features are located within the garden of Hartley Homes.
EXTERIOR: The lychgate is constructed of local ashlar stone and timber and is topped by a pitched roof of Westmorland slate and pitched stone copings. Access is through iron gates beneath an elliptical arch. Above the arch the date of Hartley Homes opening, 1911, is carved, and beneath this, sandwiched between two dripcourses, THE HARTLEY HOMES is carved. Either side of the entrance are round-headed alcoves beneath round-headed dripcourses with ornate stops. Both alcoves contain modern information insets explaining the history of Hartley Homes executed in gold lettering in a mixture of cursive and upper case format. The low boundary wall attached to the lychgate is of local stone topped with chamfered copings into which low iron railing are set. There are gates at either end of this wall which give access to stepped paths leading to the east and west almshouse ranges. From the lychgate steps give access into the garden. At the centre of the garden there is an ornate stone pedestal upon which a bronze sundial, now removed for safekeeping, was set. Each of the pedestal's faces contains a carving; the south face is carved HORAS NON, the east face is carved NUMERO NISI, the north face is carved SERENAS, the west face is illegible. This pedestal is set on a low two-stepped octagonal plinth surrounded by a walkway and low walls and is approached from the south by a flight of stone steps with flanking walls. From the pedestal a semi-circular flight of stone steps leads to a terrace in front of the north range of almshouses. This terrace is finished on its south side by a stone retaining wall topped by an ornate stone balustrade.
HISTORY: Hartley Homes were erected by Sir William Pickles Hartley, founder of the Hartley's jam and preserves empire, and Lady Hartley and presented to their native town of Colne in 1911. The garden was renovated in keeping with the original design and layout in 1977 to commemorate the Queen's Silver Jubilee.
SUMMARY OF IMPORTANCE: A group of features contemporary with Hartley Homes early C20 almshouses comprising a lychgate, associated boundary wall, railings, gates, steps, flanking walls, sundial pedestal and the plinth upon which it stands, and a retaining wall topped by an ornamental stone balustrade. These features are constructed in the same material as the almshouses and are an integral part of the design and layout of the almshouses complex and, like the almshouses themselves, display a high standard of architectural quality.
Sources: Colne & Nelson Times, Friday, October 13, 1911.
http://www.hartleyfamily.org.uk/Fame2SZ.htm accessed on 29 June 2006.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings