This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.7836 / 50°47'0"N
Longitude: -2.0241 / 2°1'26"W
OS Eastings: 398396
OS Northings: 98226
OS Grid: SY983982
Mapcode National: GBR 31R.YXG
Mapcode Global: FRA 67N0.M88
Entry Name: Cottage, Stables and Coach House South of Glendon
Listing Date: 20 September 2007
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1392264
English Heritage Legacy ID: 504006
Location: Corfe Mullen, East Dorset, Dorset, BH21
District: East Dorset
Civil Parish: Corfe Mullen
Built-Up Area: Poole
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Corfe Mullen St Hubert
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
1277/0/10021 COTTAGE, STABLES AND COACH HOUSE SOUTH O
20-SEP-07 F GLENDON
Former stable complex consisting of stable building, coach house and cottage. Built in the early C19 and associated with Glendon, a large early-C19 house to the north of the complex.
MATERIALS: Built of brick with slate roofs and rendered chimneystacks. Fenestration is mostly sash windows with glazing bars, although some windows are C20 replacements.
PLAN: The complex is roughly square in plan. It comprises a courtyard defined on the east side by the stable building and a cottage, the former coach house to the north, and a boundary wall to the west. In the mid- or late C20 the southern boundary wall was removed and a block of garages was added along part of the west side of the courtyard. Access into the complex was originally through a gated entrance on the east side but a second vehicular access has been created to the south of the stable building.
EXTERIOR: The STABLE BUILDING is a two storey Neo-classical building of brick with a low hipped roof of slate and wide eaves. There is a weather vane at the apex of the roof. The building was originally roughly square in plan, but the south west corner was rebuilt at an angle after 1934 when a new entrance was created at the southern end of the courtyard. This was probably to provide better access for motor vehicles. The building retains most of its original window and door openings. The roadside (east) elevation has two blind lunette windows to the ground floor which appear to have never been glazed, and a taking-in door above. There is a possible blocked doorway to ground floor right. The courtyard (west) elevation has a round-headed window with a fanlight to the upper section and a small taking-in door above. Access to the interior is via a doorway in the north wall which has a timber door with a shallow projecting canopy above. The former COACH HOUSE is a single storey, two bay building. It has a slate roof which is hipped at its west end and a central rendered ridge stack. The principal (south) elevation has been altered: the east end of the building has been extended slightly in order to connect through to the adjacent cottage in order to bring the coach house into domestic use. The two original entrances to each of the two bays have also been altered: the western one has been rebuilt in brick and has a single entrance with timber door, whilst the eastern bay now has sliding glass doors. Both the west gable wall and the rear elevation retain finely detailed early-C19 lunette windows.
The COTTAGE fronts onto the roadside and is a symmetrical composition of two storeys. It is built of matching materials to the stable building, with rendered brick walls and end gable chimneystacks. The front elevation consists of a central entrance with a panelled door and a three/six sash window to either side. At first floor are two further sash windows. The rear elevation has fenestration of different dates. In the late 1930s when the narrow gap between the rear of the cottage and the east end of the former coach house was infilled a doorway in the rear elevation was replaced with a casement window and a new doorway was inserted slightly to the north of this to provide direct access between the coach house and the cottage. Both gable walls have small attic windows.
Between the stable building and the cottage is a gated carriage entrance into the courtyard. This opening has a pair of square brick gate piers with stone caps and ball finials; the timber gates are believed to be more recent additions. The single storey garage block on the west side of the courtyard is not of special interest.
INTERIOR: The interior of the STABLE BUILDING has lost its stalls but retains a brick floor, several upright posts that probably secured the stall partitions, and a ladder stair that provides access to the floor above. The first floor would have been used for storage and possibly accommodation for grooms. It is open to the roof, with the king post, struts and tie beams visible. The COACH HOUSE has been converted to domestic use and a false ceiling has been inserted to both bays, but the southern bay retains a corner fireplace with tiled surround. The COTTAGE has undergone some internal refurbishment since the late 1930s; the fireplaces and handrail to the stairs have been replaced, but the building retains its plan form and some C19 doors and other joinery.
HISTORY: Glendon was built in the early C19; probably for a merchant involved in the Newfoundland fur trade. From at least 1878 the house was owned by Major General Powlett Lane, a Justice of the Peace and Deputy Lieutenant for Dorset, following his retirement from the army, and by Sir Claude and Lady Frances Morrison-Bell from 1936. Stylistically the stable complex to the south of the house appears to also date from the early C19.
REASON FOR DESIGNATION DECISION: The stables, coach house and cottage to the south of Glendon are designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Their architectural interest and quality of the detailing
* Despite cumulative change, they continue to represent a fairly complete and attractive ensemble of early-C19 ancillary buildings.
* They have strong group value with Glendon, an early-C19 house, sharing the same materials and overall design themes.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings