This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.1685 / 53°10'6"N
Longitude: -1.5991 / 1°35'56"W
OS Eastings: 426897
OS Northings: 363558
OS Grid: SK268635
Mapcode National: GBR 58G.BJ9
Mapcode Global: WHCDG.DMRB
Entry Name: Boundary Walls to Former Whitworth Estate
Listing Date: 7 July 2008
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1392482
English Heritage Legacy ID: 504708
Location: Darley Dale, Derbyshire Dales, Derbyshire, DE4
District: Derbyshire Dales
Civil Parish: Darley Dale
Built-Up Area: Matlock
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire
Church of England Parish: Darley St Helen
Church of England Diocese: Derby
668/0/10053 DALE ROAD NORTH
07-JUL-08 BOUNDARY WALLS TO FORMER WHITWORTH EST
Estate boundary wall,gate piers and horse trough with intergral enclosure. Circa 1870s and later C19 to the designs of T.Roger Smith and E.M Barry as part of the development of the Stancliffe Hall estate for Sir Joseph Whitworth industrialist.
MATERIALS: Regularly coursed squared rock-faced gritstone with saddleback copings, incorporating monolithic gate piers.
DESCRIPTION: The wall varies in height at various locations,and commences adjacent to the 3 gate piers at the entrance to the Stancliffe Hall estate on Whitworth Road at map reference SK268635 and extends south-westwards to the junction of Whitworth Road and Dale Road North (A6). It then continues northwest along the road frontage to the former estate, up to the entrance gateway to West Lodge (q.v) and then extends further northwest, terminating at map reference SK264638. Within the tallest section of walling, to the north west of the entrance to West Lodge, is sited a horse trough set within a tall arch-headed recess, the arch voussoirs and keystone with rock-faced rustication. At the head of the arch is a massive ashlar semi-circular cresting. The wall forms a group with West Lodge (q.v.)and is part of the extensive network of estate boundary walling at Stancliffe Hall, including those sections and gate piers to the east of Stancliffe Hall (q.v.) and the Garden Boundary walls to the former Estate Gardens on Whitworth Road, Foggs Hill and Bent Lane, including VR post box to SW (q.v.).
HISTORY. It is thought that the construction of the boundary walls at Stancliffe Hall coincided with the remodelling of the Hall by T.Roger Smith from 1872, or from 1879 when E.M.Barry worked on the house.
REASONS FOR DESIGNATION DECISION:
The section of boundary wall to the former Stancliffe Hall Estate at Darley Dale, Derbyshire, is listed for the following principal reasons:
* The section of wall forms part of an estate boundary, parts of which are already listed;
* It is the tallest, most prominent and most carefully detailed section of the boundary wall and incorporates other features of architectural interest including gate piers, ramped changes in height and a horse trough set within an elaborate arched recess;
* The wall forms part of an ensemble of related listed structures associated with the Stancliffe Hall Estate as developed by Sir Joseph Whitworth to the designs of T. Roger Smith and the eminent architect, E.M.Barry;
* The wall forms an impressive and consistently high quality presence on the A6 road frontage to the estate, and contributes to the setting of the listed West Lodge and its entrance gateway;
* The wall is strongly representative of the long established masonry traditions of a nationally important quarrying and stone working district of Derbyshire, and is built from material won and worked locally.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings