This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.4029 / 51°24'10"N
Longitude: 0.0225 / 0°1'21"E
OS Eastings: 540782
OS Northings: 169038
OS Grid: TQ407690
Mapcode National: GBR M1.BD0
Mapcode Global: VHHNX.BZSX
Entry Name: Pulhamite Waterfall in Bromley Palace Park
Listing Date: 30 April 2008
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1392583
English Heritage Legacy ID: 503799
Location: Bromley, London, BR1
Electoral Ward/Division: Bromley Town
Built-Up Area: Bromley
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Bromley St Peter and St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Rochester
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 30/01/2014
Pulhamite waterfall in Bromley Palace Park
(Formerly listed under KENTISH WAY)
Pulhamite artificial rock-work waterfall of c.1865; by the firm of Pulhams, garden contractors.
DESCRIPTION: The waterfall comprises a linear, bedded, mass of Pulhamite rockwork, overall approximately 15m across and 5m deep. Some of the individual rocks are over a cubic metre in size. The rockwork is set in the dam which forms the south end of the lake, with a central cleft through which water cascaded to a basin at its base (the waterfall was not working at the time of inspection in 2007). The rockwork has a brown, sandy exterior finish; in some places the exterior skin has broken off exposing the scrap-brick core of the rockwork.
HISTORY: 'Pulhamite' rock-work was developed by James Pulham (c.1820-98), the son of one the pioneers of Portland cement manufacture. In the 1840s he began to use this cement as an ingredient in the construction of artificial rock-work. Masses of clinker and scrap brickwork were assembled, cement was poured over them, and they were moulded into boulder-like formations. Various surface finishes produced highly convincing and various artificial rock types, so convincing as at times to deceive naturalists. At Bromley, after changes to the boundary of the bishopric in 1845 the Palace became the private house of Coles Child, a wealthy coal merchant. He extended the house using Richard Norman Shaw as architect in 1863, and by 1865 was ornamenting his grounds, employing James Pulham over a five year period to create what contemporary records describe as a fernery and waterfall. It is the former which stands at the north end of the lake, with the waterfall to the south.
REASONS FOR DESIGNATION DECISION: The Pulhamite waterfall of c.1865 at the north end of the lake at Bromley's former bishop's palace is listed for the following principal reasons:
* It is a good and little-altered example of the artificial rock work (Pulhamite) produced in the mid-C19 by James Pulham's firm
* It sits within a little-altered mid-C19 landscape setting, at the end of a lake and amidst trees.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings