This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.2441 / 52°14'38"N
Longitude: 0.414 / 0°24'50"E
OS Eastings: 564911
OS Northings: 263397
OS Grid: TL649633
Mapcode National: GBR N9Y.9HV
Mapcode Global: VHJGJ.4V7L
Entry Name: Machell Place
Listing Date: 30 October 2006
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1392774
English Heritage Legacy ID: 505818
Location: Newmarket, Forest Heath, Suffolk, CB8
District: Forest Heath
Civil Parish: Newmarket
Built-Up Area: Newmarket
Traditional County: Cambridgeshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Newmarket All Saints
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
TL66SW OLD STATION ROAD
177-1/0/26 (Southeast side)
30-OCT-06 Machell Place
Racehorse trainer's house. c.1850, built as a pair of semi-detached houses, then converted to a single house and enlarged 1884 by W.C.Manning, as a trainer's house. Late C20 alterations.
Red brick with stone dressings; gabled, fish-scale slate roofs with ceramic ridge tiles and pierced and scalloped bargeboards, hipped dormers, a large central, brick ridge stack and stacks to rear wings. Picturesque Tudor Gothic style.
PLAN: the original, mirror image, double-depth pair of houses, each with a rear wing, remodelled internally as a one house with addition at rear.
EXTERIOR: two storeys. Symmetrical front with offset stone plinth and stone quoins to slightly projecting, cross-gabled wing on each side. On the ground floor, adjacent to each wing, the blocked opening to the recessed porch to each of the former semi-detached houses, a brick infill under a stone Tudor arch supported on corbels; each infilled opening flanked by a slender buttress with two stone capped offsets, and in the centre of the front a similar buttress; between the buttresses to right originally a window opening replaced in 1884 by stone framed Tudor arched entrance doorway, the panelled door with leaded light glazing in upper half, under a timber gabled hood supported on brackets with pierced and scalloped barge boards to the gable; between buttresses on left, and in the end of each wing a stone-framed window opening. On the first floor in the centre two slightly projecting oriels in moulded stone, corbelled frames and gables with scalloped bargeboards and ceramic finials; a stone framed window opening in the front of each oriel and in the end of each wing, and above each former porch a narrow window opening rising into a hipped dormer with ornamental metal finial. Above each window a Tudor relieving arch. The sides and rears of the cross-gabled wings on both floors have similar stone framed windows. At rear late C19 extension; three cross gables with plain bargeboards; on both floors plain window openings with segmental arched heads. All window openings to the house refitted c.1980 with UPVC side hung sashes.
HISTORY: Formerly called Chetwynd Place. Originally a pair of semi-detached houses, c.1850, in a picturesque Tudor Gothic style for James [Jem] Robinson, jockey and trainer. Between c.1860 and 1880 at least one and perhaps both houses of the original semi-detached pair was owned by Sir John Astley, prominent racehorse owner, gambler, Steward of the Jockey Club, and the founder of the Astley Institute, a club for the stable lads of Newmarket. The pair was then converted to a single house and enlarged 1884 by W.C.Manning for Charles [Charlie] Wood, trainer, as the trainer's house for Chetwynd Place Stables at the rear of the house. They were later re-named Machell Place and Machell Place Stables [q.v.] in the late C19 after they were bought by Captain J.O.Machell, prominent racehorse owner and manager.
Very well-detailed in itself, the house forms a significant group with the grand and extensive stables to rear.
REFERENCE: Forest Heath District Council: Newmarket Horse Racing Training Yards: 1992.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings