This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.767 / 51°46'1"N
Longitude: -0.9271 / 0°55'37"W
OS Eastings: 474131
OS Northings: 208135
OS Grid: SP741081
Mapcode National: GBR C21.0G4
Mapcode Global: VHDV8.WV69
Entry Name: K6 Telephone Kiosk
Listing Date: 17 September 2008
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1392879
English Heritage Legacy ID: 505344
Location: Haddenham, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire, HP17
District: Aylesbury Vale
Civil Parish: Haddenham
Built-Up Area: Haddenham
Traditional County: Buckinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Haddenham
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
17-SEP-08 K6 Telephone Kiosk
K6 telephone kiosk. Materials: cast iron and glass (except where later modified).
This K6 is a standardised design made of cast iron, painted red with long horizontal glazing in door and sides, with the crowns situated on the top panels being applied not perforated. There are rectangular white display signs, reading TELEPHONE beneath the shallow-curved roof. It is in current use as a functioning telephone kiosk, with modernised internal equipment.
The telphone kiosk is situated in the centre of the village, and in the village conservation area, at the southern end of Churchway. It lies 10m to the south of the Grade II listed No. 6 Churchway, which is next to another Grade II listed building, the Green Dragon Public House at No. 8. Approximately 60m to the north, the Grade II listed building, No. 2 (Dragon Tail) is directly is line of sight with the kiosk.
HISTORY: The K6 telephone kiosk is a milestone of C20 industrial design. The K6 was designed by Giles Gilbert Scott in 1935 for the General Post Office, on the occasion of King George V's Silver Jubilee. The K6 was a development from his earlier highly successful K2 telephone kiosk design of 1924, of Neo-classical inspiration. The K6 was more streamlined aesthetically, more compact and more cost-effective to mass produce. Giles Gilbert Scott (1880-1960) was one of the most important of modern British architects; his many celebrated commissions include the Anglican cathedral of Liverpool and Battersea power station. The K2 and K6 telephone kiosks can be said to represent a very thoughtful adaptation of architectural tradition to contemporary technological requirements. Well over 70,000 K6s were eventually produced. In the 1960s many were replaced with far plainer kiosk types. But many still remain, and continue to be an iconic feature on Britain's streetscapes.
REASONS FOR DESIGNATION
The K6 telephone kiosk in Churchway in Haddenham is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* It has a group value with its close visual association with three listed buildings.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings