This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7671 / 51°46'1"N
Longitude: -1.2628 / 1°15'45"W
OS Eastings: 450970
OS Northings: 207862
OS Grid: SP509078
Mapcode National: GBR 7XL.5KD
Mapcode Global: VHCXN.2V86
Entry Name: St Hugh's College Lodges and Gates
Listing Date: 7 October 2008
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1392937
English Heritage Legacy ID: 493656
Location: Oxford, Oxfordshire, OX2
Electoral Ward/Division: St Margaret's
Built-Up Area: Oxford
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Oxford St Philip and St James with St Margaret
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
612/1/10115 ST MARGARET'S ROAD
07-OCT-08 St Hugh's College Lodges and Gates
BUILDING: Pair of lodges, with attached gate piers and gates and attached boundary walls. 1914-16. Architect: H.T. Buckland and W. Haywood
EXTERIOR: Symmetrical composition in Baroque style.
Lodges are ashlar, with hipped tiled roofs. Small square-plan buildings with plinth bands, moulded cornices and central panelled chimneys. One storey and attic. Fronts to road have 2 12-pane sashes to ground floor, and similar sash in tall dormer with carved stone side scrolls and segmental pediment. Sides each have single casement, 8-panel door, and sash in flat-roofed dormer with plain lead cheeks. 2 similar sashes and casement to rear of west lodge; gabled projection to rear of east lodge. All ground-floor openings inset in moulded surrounds with moulded stops. Cast iron rainwater hoppers.
Ashlar gate-piers with moulded panels and pedimented caps. Moulded double scrolls cap pilasters to lodges. Central cast iron carriage gates. Pedestrian side gates between railings on ashlar dwarf walls.
Short length of ashlar wall to east. High rubble stone boundary wall extends along St. Margaret's Road to west.
INTERIORS: Not seen.
HISTORY: St. Hugh's was founded as St. Hugh's Hall in 1886 for female students and was the third such foundation at Oxford. In 1911 it became a college by name, and in 1959 a full college.
SOURCES: J. Sherwood and N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire (1974), 247.
SUMMARY OF IMPORTANCE: Pair of lodges and gates creating a grand ashlar entrance to St. Hugh's College, arranged in a symmetrical composition to create an architectural focal point of entrance/chapel building. The lodges are of much the same First-War date as, and by the same architects (Buckland and Haywood) as, the main College building, also recommended for listing. The lodges and associated gates and walling are elegant and carefully detailed, and part of the overall public face of the college.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings