History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

War Memorial

A Grade II Listed Building in Shalford, Surrey

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.2203 / 51°13'12"N

Longitude: -0.5702 / 0°34'12"W

OS Eastings: 499947

OS Northings: 147756

OS Grid: SU999477

Mapcode National: GBR FCR.DMZ

Mapcode Global: VHFVN.2LDD

Entry Name: War Memorial

Listing Date: 8 January 2009

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1393082

English Heritage Legacy ID: 505674

Location: Shalford, Guildford, Surrey, GU4

County: Surrey

District: Guildford

Civil Parish: Shalford

Built-Up Area: Guildford

Traditional County: Surrey

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey

Church of England Parish: Shalford

Church of England Diocese: Guildford

Find accommodation in
Guildford

Listing Text


SHALFORD

431/0/10045 THE STREET
08-JAN-09 War Memorial

GV II
War memorial, unveiled 1921 constructed of Doulting stone, from Shepton Mallet, Somerset. The entire structure is octagonal in form, from the triple stepped plinth, to the base and shaft. A Gothic cross surmounts the shaft. The WWI inscription is nicely carved at the base of the cross - 'Our Glorious Dead/ 1914/ 1919 /Their Name Liveth for Evermore (names).' The commemoration to those who fell in WWII is inscribed in the smaller section where the shaft meets the base, with simpler lettering - '1939/ 1945 (names)'.

HISTORY: This WWI war memorial was erected by the parish War Memorial Committee under the auspices of the Vicar, a Captain Santers, and a Mr Everett, who originally hoped to raise £1000 to build a memorial hall. By June 1919, not even half that amount had been achieved, and therefore the decision was made to erect a cross instead. This was unveiled 17 July 1921, and dedicated by the Bishop of Guildford. The Surrey Advertiser (23 July 1921) reported that the cross was made of Doulting stone (from Somerset), of Gothic design, 14 feet high and octagonal construction. The memorial was cleaned at various times during the 1920s which might have inadvertently contributed to the deterioration of the lettering. The designer/sculptor is not known.

REASONS FOR DESIGNATION: Shalford war memorial is designated for the following principal reasons:
* The inscriptions bear testament to the people of Shalford who lost their lives in both world wars;
* The simple, Gothic cross fits well with the surrounding buildings and adds to the group value.


This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 5 December 2016.

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.