This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.1591 / 53°9'32"N
Longitude: -1.5808 / 1°34'50"W
OS Eastings: 428124
OS Northings: 362522
OS Grid: SK281625
Mapcode National: GBR 58H.WPM
Mapcode Global: WHCDG.PVFK
Entry Name: Darley Dale Infants School
Listing Date: 3 March 2009
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1393159
English Heritage Legacy ID: 506024
Location: Darley Dale, Derbyshire Dales, Derbyshire, DE4
District: Derbyshire Dales
Civil Parish: Darley Dale
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire
Church of England Parish: Darley St Helen
Church of England Diocese: Derby
668/0/10054 GREENAWAY LANE
03-MAR-09 Darley Dale Infants School
Infants School, formerly an Elementary School. 1911, with minor late C20 alterations. Designed by George Widdows, County Architect, for the Derbyshire County Council.
MATERIALS: Gritstone rubble, brought to courses with ashlar quoins and dressings. Mansard roofs, with Westmorland slates and plain clay tiles used for the upper and lower parts of the roof slopes respectively. Added timber and part-glazed screen and doors to rear (playground) elevation.
PLAN: Linear plan with original open verandah corridor to rear elevation, now enclosed.
EXTERIOR: The front (south-east) elevation is a symmetrical composition of 6 single storey bays and a 2-storey central bay. The two outermost bays form pavilion-like ends to the linear building and together with the central bay have half-hipped mansard roofs. The 4 intermediate bays have full height multi-paned 9-light mullioned and transomed timber window frames set beneath 'catslide' extensions to the slated upper roof slope, and between them are sections of the steeper tiled lower roof slope which extend to the bottom eaves level. The windows to the gabled end bays are of similar design and all have 3 shallow bottom lights of inward-opening 'hopper' type. The rear elevation has a long mansard roof with a series of low, tapered stone ridge chimneys, and a central bay with a pair of 2-light flat-roofed dormer windows at upper eaves level. The 4 inner flanking bays each has a wide 4-light high-level window set below a shallow projection from the upper roof slope. The pavilion end bays are slightly advanced and their gables have window frames which match those to their front walls. Between the projecting end bays is the formerly open verandah corridor, its braced arcade posts set upon tall padstones and its arcade plates are enclosed by a C20 screen wall of half glazed and solid panels incorporating pairs of doors.
INTERIOR: The interior is comprised of 6 classrooms linked by the enclosed verandah corridor. The end classrooms are larger than the 4 in-line classrooms, and that to the south-west end is used as the school hall. Each of the classrooms has a chimney breast and hearth, some now infilled. The central 2 storey bay has cloakrooms and C20 toilets at ground floor level, and a staff room and head teacher's study at first floor level, accessed by means of an enclosed stair. Original interior joinery, including built-in cupboard doors survive, together with some wooden floor coverings.
HISTORY: The Darley Dale Infants School was designed by the architect George Widdows (1871- 1946) and was completed in 1911. It was one of a large number of new Elementary schools built to Widdows' designs by the County Council to provide school facilities in a county which experienced the greatest increase in population of any part of the country in the 1890's, and particularly in the coal mining and textile manufacturing communities in the east of the county. Widdows had come to Derbyshire in 1897 as Chief Architectural Assistant to Derby Corporation. In 1904, shortly after the responsibility for schools had passed to the County Council as a consequence of the 1902 Education Act, Widdows was appointed as architect to Derbyshire County Council's Education Committee. In 1910 he was appointed Chief Architect to the County Council, though schools remained his predominant concern. He retired in 1936, having designed an estimated sixty Elementary and seventeen Secondary schools.
Widdows' work was in the forefront of the movement to provide schools in which standards of hygiene and educational provision were both considered to be of high importance. Legislation by the Board of Health in 1907 required that regular medical inspections of schools be carried out. His designs emphasised the need for high levels of natural daylight and effective cross ventilation to achieve the required improvements in the standard of hygiene within schools, and were characterised by generous, full-height and high level windows and open verandah-style corridors linking well-lit classrooms. Widdows developed a number of distinctive plan forms based on a linear module arranged in different configurations dependant upon the size of the required school and the shape of the available site. The Darley Dale School was built in the evolutionary stage of Widdows' school designs between 1907 and 1914, and is one of an estimated thirty-seven new designs completed by 1920, the majority of which, like Darley Dale, remain in educational use.
The Builder, Vol 105, no. 3691, 31 October 1913, pp 457-63
The Builder, Vol.107, no. 3737, 10 July 1914, pp 43-4; no. 3728, 17 July 1914, pp 74-5
G.H. Widdows, 'Derbyshire Elementary Schools: Principles of Planning', Paper to the Royal Sanitary Institute, read at sessional meeting, 25 February 1910, in Royal Sanitary Institute Journal, 1910, pp. 92-116
REASONS FOR DESIGNATION DECISION.
The Darley Dale Infants School is of special architectural interest for the following principal reasons:
* The school was designed by the architect George Widdows, the Chief Architect of Derbyshire County Council (1910-1936), renowned for his contribution to the development of early C20 schools of innovative design and distinctive plan form in which the imperatives of high levels of natural daylight and effective ventilation in pursuit of improved standards of school hygiene and pupil health were clearly expressed.
* The school is considered to be one of the best surviving examples of Widdows' earliest and most widely-used plan types; a linear arrangement of classrooms linked by an open verandah corridor.
* The school retains all of the elements of the original design, and the later enclosure of the verandah corridor has been achieved without the loss, or permanent concealment of, original fabric.
* The school represents an important milepost in the development of Widdows' more complex designs for Elementary schools, and the later Secondary schools in Derbyshire.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings