This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.4088 / 51°24'31"N
Longitude: 0.5282 / 0°31'41"E
OS Eastings: 575926
OS Northings: 170781
OS Grid: TQ759707
Mapcode National: GBR PPH.NC5
Mapcode Global: VHJLN.3VLF
Entry Name: Wall Extending Ne from Upnor Castle Along the River Medway
Listing Date: 17 April 2009
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1393293
English Heritage Legacy ID: 500748
Location: Frindsbury Extra, Medway, ME2
Civil Parish: Frindsbury Extra
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
Church of England Parish: Frindsbury All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Rochester
1797/0/10010 UPNOR ROAD
Wall extending NE from Upnor Castle al
ong the river Medway
Wall. Early C19. Brick, stone-coped, with four blocked openings along its length.
HISTORY: This early 19th century brick wall, which extended along the seaward boundary of the former ordnance store at Upnor, is a very prominent feature along the Medway river, relating to both Upnor Castle (Scheduled Ancient Monument) and B Magazine, recommended for listing as a result of the thematic review of ordnance yards. Significantly, it is pierced by four former openings for the former powder piers which served the floating magazines that played such a key role in the development of this and other naval ordnance sites.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings