This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.4791 / 51°28'44"N
Longitude: 0.4169 / 0°25'0"E
OS Eastings: 567933
OS Northings: 178346
OS Grid: TQ679783
Mapcode National: GBR NM7.B6N
Mapcode Global: VHJLD.52SX
Entry Name: Bata Industrial Building Number 12
Listing Date: 16 June 2009
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1393328
English Heritage Legacy ID: 505018
Location: Thurrock, RM18
Electoral Ward/Division: East Tilbury
Built-Up Area: East Tilbury
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: East and West Tilbury and Linford
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
977/0/10033 THAMES INDUSTRIAL PARK
16-JUN-09 Bata Industrial Building Number 12
Building 12 of the former British Bata site, East Tilbury, designed by F L Gahura (1891-1958) and V Karfik (1901-1996) for the Bata Shoe Company of Zlin in the International Modern Movement Style, built 1933. Constructed by main contractors Walsham Ltd, the welding and erection work carried out by the Gravesend Welding and Electrical Engineering Works Ltd.
Built of welded steel columns and roof trusses, the latter with diagonal struts, with reinforced concrete walls.
Single storey, 262ft long, 62ft wide with a lower, 5 bay range to the west.
Building 12 has welded Crittall sash side lights or 12-pane windows and 8 pane windows in the west range and a roof comprised two shallow 'v' shaped sections. On the north elevation, a brick-built porch has been added.
The Bata shoe company identified the historic riverside of East Tilbury as a suitable place for the development of a Shoe Factory and purpose built settlement between the 1930s and 1960s. From modest origins, the Bata Company grew in the inter-war years of the C20 to become one of the world's largest shoe manufacturers and retailers. Its founder was Thomas Bata. By the 1930s, the Bata Company had become a world-wide shoe empire, co-ordinating its global activities, in particular all details of the shoe-making process, from the HQ at Zlin. It expanded its manufacturing sites globally including factories in Holland, India and East Tilbury (known as British Bata) in 1933. By the early 1930s, Bata's architects F L Gahura (1891-1958) and his student V Karfik (1901-1996), both of whom had trained with Le Corbusier and in Karfik's case, also worked with Frank Lloyd Wright, had developed a consistent architectural design in the International Modern Movement style for Bata sites across the globe.
The plant at East Tilbury acted as both producer and distributor of the Bata products, primarily in the manufacture of rubber and leather footwear. The first factory buildings, including Building 12, were constructed in January 1933. In 1934, a leather factory (Trafalgar house, building 13) and domestic housing was built. Between 1936 and 1938, a second leather and rubber factory (buildings 24 and 34) were built as well as a garage and other social facilities and although WWII slowed development, the site continued to expand into the 1960s.
English Heritage, East Tilbury, Essex: Historic Area Appraisal, 2007
www.batamemories.org.uk accessed December 2008
REASONS FOR DESIGNATION DECISION
Building 12 at the former British Bata site, East Tilbury, is designated at grade II for the following principal reasons:
* From the currently available research, Building 12 is the earliest surviving example of welded-steel construction in the country.
* It is one of the earliest, least altered, former factory buildings on the internationally significant British Bata site at East Tilbury, designed in the International Modern Movement Style by Gahura and Karfik.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings