This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.0968 / 51°5'48"N
Longitude: -2.0933 / 2°5'35"W
OS Eastings: 393564
OS Northings: 133063
OS Grid: ST935330
Mapcode National: GBR 2XZ.5LG
Mapcode Global: FRA 66H7.49D
Entry Name: The Former Granary
Listing Date: 3 July 2009
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1393345
English Heritage Legacy ID: 506872
Location: Fonthill Bishop, Wiltshire, SP3
Civil Parish: Fonthill Bishop
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Fonthill Bishop with Berwick St Leonard All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
1884/0/10013 THE OLD DAIRY
03-JUL-09 The former Granary
Former granary, of early-C19 date. Stands to east of Kingstead Farm, with front elevation facing south-west.
MATERIALS: Timber frame with weatherboard cladding. The half-hipped roof, originally thatched, is covered with corrugated asbestos sheeting.
EXTERIOR: The granary is rectangular in plan and sits on 25 staddle stones, arranged in 5 rows of 5. There is a plank door to the centre of the south-west elevation, a blocked pitching hole/window to west gable end and a single-light opening to centre of rear (north-east) elevation.
INTERIOR: The pegged timber frame is of 3 bays with a cambered tie-beam roof with a nailed yoke plate, slightly curved braces and one row of squared butt-purlins. Many of the chestnut roof battens remain beneath the modern cladding.
The lower half of the walls are lined with horizontal boarding, although grain bin divisions have been removed.
HISTORY: The granary appears on the Fonthill Bishop Tithe map of 1838 and would appear to be of early-C19 date. The farmstead of which it is part, Kingstead Farm, was built for the Fonthill Estate.
REASONS FOR DESIGNATION DECISION: The former granary is recommended for listing at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* It is substantially intact, with complete pegged timber frame and internal boarding
* It is a good representative example of a granary of this region constructed of good quality local materials
* It has group value with the adjacent listed barn
* Historical interest with association with Fonthill estate, for which it was built
Other nearby listed buildings