This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.9404 / 52°56'25"N
Longitude: -1.755 / 1°45'17"W
OS Eastings: 416562
OS Northings: 338138
OS Grid: SK165381
Mapcode National: GBR 49N.M3P
Mapcode Global: WHCFK.0CK5
Entry Name: Village Pump
Listing Date: 6 July 2009
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1393346
English Heritage Legacy ID: 506331
Location: Cubley, Derbyshire Dales, Derbyshire, DE6
District: Derbyshire Dales
Civil Parish: Cubley
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire
Church of England Parish: Cubley St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Derby
478/0/10007 Village Pump
Water pump, 1902, manufactured by Bamford's and donated by Henry Arthur Clowes.
EXTERIOR: The pump is square in section, with a spout to the front and cow-tail handle to one side, and with a pyramidal cap and finial. On all three visible sides raised bands frame two panels with a circle between them. The spout is set into the circle to the front, and the panel above contains in relief the letters HAC and the date 1902, while the lower panel displays a small shield with the words 'Bamford's Frost Protected Lift Pump' above what appears to be the Royal coat of arms, indicating that Bamford's held a Royal Warrant.
HISTORY: Pumps appeared in towns and villages in increasing numbers throughout the C18 and C19, and remained a source of water for domestic use into the C20. Both the 1880 and 1901 OS maps of Great Cubley show a pump at this location, as well as at least two others to north and south. The present pump was erected in 1902; the initials HAC towards the top suggest it was gift of Henry Arthur Clowes, owner of the Cubley Estate at that time. The pump was made by Bamford's; possibly connected to JC Bamford, who founded the Staffordshire company JCB. At the millennium the pump was restored, and a cap added.
REASONS FOR DESIGNATION DECISION: The water pump in Great Cubley is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* It is of special interest as a complete example of a very early C20 pump that survives in its original location.
* The lettering identifying both the benefactor and manufacturer, with the date, is of additional interest.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings