This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5809 / 51°34'51"N
Longitude: 0.1823 / 0°10'56"E
OS Eastings: 551304
OS Northings: 189154
OS Grid: TQ513891
Mapcode National: GBR SK.2N3
Mapcode Global: VHHN7.3JRD
Entry Name: Church of St Edward the Confessor (Roman Catholic)
Listing Date: 23 February 2010
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1393684
English Heritage Legacy ID: 507348
Location: Havering, London, RM1
Electoral Ward/Division: Romford Town
Built-Up Area: Havering
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Romford St Edward Confessor
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
940/0/10066 PARK END ROAD
Church of St Edward The Confessor
Roman Catholic Church
Roman Catholic Church built in 1856 by Daniel Cubitt Nicholls with donations by the Twelfth Lord Petre. Gallery added 1917. North Chapel added 1934 and gallery rebuilt. C13 Early English style. The presbytery, former school, church hall and all boundary walls are not of special interest.
MATERIALS: Coursed ragstone with red tiled roof and Bath stone dressings. Chapel of yellow brick laid in English bond.
PLAN: Aisle-less nave, chancel, sacristy to north-east and porch/gallery stair tower to south-west. Later North Chapel at west.
EXTERIOR: Nave of four bays with two-tier buttresses separating windows with plate-tracery of the double-lancets beneath a roundel. East window has geometric tracery with triple-lights and three roundels, with carved heads of St Edward and St Agnes at the springing points of the arch. The west end has a rose window over two double shouldered arched windows with small trefoil arches in the porch/gallery stair tower. The Sacristy has a triple shoulder-arched windows in its east elevation. Steep gabled roof with a central wooden belfry topped by a splayed-foot spire, small dormers at the west end, hipped and half-hipped roofs to the porch and Latin gable crosses. The chapel has windows in a more elaborate Decorated style, door set in a Tudor arch and pitched roof with flat-roofed vestry.
INTERIOR: Diagonally-boarded, timber scissors-truss roof to both the nave and chancel (the chapel has a simple boarded roof) with a panelled wooden gallery at the west end of the nave. Above the roof corbels is a trefoil-decorated timber dado. The nave windows and the two double shoulder-arched windows below the gallery are set in four-centred arched niches. Pointed chancel arch with hollow chamfers springing directly from the walls. Shoulder-arched door to the sacristy which has a pointed arched door to the presbytery. Organ over four-centred arch to chapel. Geometric design of red and black floor tiles to the nave and chancel is of late-C20 date.
The fittings include the original octagonal stone font (now in the chapel), ornate stone reredos with a pinnacled canopy over scenes of the Nativity and Deposition. This is flanked by figures of St Edward the Confessor and St Agnes by Boulton and Harris (donated by Agnes Clifford, sister of Lord Petre). The original altar remains despite having been superseded by a free standing altar to its front during reordering in the 1990s. The Sanctuary also contains an aumbry with carved foliate decoration and a plain piscina, both set in foiled arches. There is a second aumbry set in a foiled arch with a painted carving of the Agnus Dei (Lamb of God) in the spandrel in the nave and a piscina in the south porch. The chapel contains a modern shrine to Our Lady of Walsingham by Howell and Bellion. The stained glass in the east window dates from 1885. It depicts scenes from the life of St Edward, is by Hardman and Co of Birmingham, a major supplier of stained glass during the Gothic Revival, notably for the Palace of Westminster.
HISTORY: Romford has historical associations with St Edward the Confessor, whose summer residence was at nearby Havering-atte-Bower. The Anglican parish church at Romford has the same dedication. The Catholic church, which replaced a temporary building which stood on the site from 1854, was built with money and on land donated by the twelfth Lord Petre, who was from a prominent Essex Catholic family, and was also responsible for other churches in the county at Barking, Ongar, Brentwood and Chelmsford. In a then rural location, St Edward's was amongst the first C19 Catholic churches built in Essex under the Catholic Diocese of Westminster established in 1850. The church was dedicated in May 1856 by Cardinal Wiseman, first Archbishop of Westminster and designed by the London based architect Daniel Cubitt Nicholls. A day school to the west of the church was also built at this time, presumably also by Cubitt Nicholls. In 1890-91 this was replaced by a new building to the south of the church designed by George Sherrin (1843-1909), who seems to have had connections to the Petre family having built a number of houses, including one for himself, on land leased from the Petre estate in Ingatestone, Essex and also built Tilehurst, Brentwood for Sir Sebastian Petre in 1884. The presbytery, linked to the church via the sacristy, was probably also designed by Sherrin at this time. In 1917 a gallery was added to the west end of the chancel. In 1934 the North Chapel was added, the west gallery was rebuilt and the current church hall to the west of the church was probably added. In 1961 the church school was closed and eventually converted to a social club which was extensively remodelled and extended at the end of the C20.
SOURCES: Cherry, B, O'Brien, C and Pevsner, N, Buildings of England, London 5: East (2005), p. 192
Victoria County History, A History of the County of Essex: Vol.7 (1978), pp. 82-91
REASONS FOR DESIGNATION: St Edward the Confessor Roman Catholic church, Romford, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Architectural interest: for its careful historicist design by a lesser-known architect in the C13 Gothic style advocated for Roman Catholic churches by AWN Pugin; the later alterations to the west end and addition of the chapel and gallery are largely in sympathy with the original design;
* Rarity: as a relatively rare example of a gentry-funded, mid-C19, rural Roman Catholic church, in a period where most Catholic churches built were in urban locations;
* Interiors: for the comparatively intact interior of a mid-Victorian Roman Catholic parish church;
* Fittings: good quality reredos by Boulton and Harris and stained glass by Hardman and Co.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings