History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

War Memorial Clock Tower

A Grade II Listed Building in St. Just, Cornwall

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.1247 / 50°7'28"N

Longitude: -5.6805 / 5°40'49"W

OS Eastings: 137031

OS Northings: 31443

OS Grid: SW370314

Mapcode National: GBR DXCC.0TJ

Mapcode Global: VH05F.H498

Entry Name: War Memorial Clock Tower

Listing Date: 9 June 2011

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1400188

Location: St. Just, Cornwall, TR19

County: Cornwall

Civil Parish: St. Just

Built-Up Area: St Just

Traditional County: Cornwall

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall

Church of England Parish: St Just-in-Penwith

Church of England Diocese: Truro

Find accommodation in
Botallack

Summary

A roughcast concrete war memorial clock tower, unveiled in 1931, designed by Henry Thomas and sited in a prominent position at the edge of the town's medieval amphitheatre.

Description

A roughcast concrete war memorial clock tower, unveiled in 1931, designed by Henry Thomas and sited in a prominent position at the edge of the town's medieval amphitheatre.

The square-plan memorial consists of a three-stepped base, upon which stands a plinth with moulded cornice. From this rises the plain square shaft of the clock tower terminating in a cornice adjoining the upper-stage which has a clock face within simple moulding on each of the four sides. It has a squat arching spirelet with a lucarne on each side, and a weather vane. On the plinth are tablets inscribed with lead lettering; on the north is 'THIS MEMORIAL IS ERECTED IN GRATEFUL / MEMORY OF THOSE WHO FROM THIS TOWN / GAVE THEIR LIVES IN THE GREAT WAR 1914-1918', followed by a roll of honour. On the east and west sides of the plinth the tablets are inscribed 'IN MEMORIAM / WORLD WAR 1939-1945', with the names of the fallen. There is a low, decorative iron fence around the base.

It is sited in a prominent position at the edge of the town's medieval amphitheatre and has group value with neighbouring listed buildings.

This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 5 October 2017.

History

The great age of memorial building following the First World War gave communities an opportunity to honour and mark their fallen. The clock tower memorial at St Just-in-Penwith is a relatively late erection in the national context, as it was not dedicated until 1931, which may have been due to the time taken raising funds to pay for it.

Reasons for Listing

The St Just-in-Penwith War Memorial Clock Tower is designated at Grade II, for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: it is poignant reminder of the impact of the First and Second World Wars on the community and commemorates its fallen servicemen
* Architectural interest: a modest yet elegant tower with well-executed, simple detailing, such as its moulded spirelet roof
* Group value: it has visual group value with the neighbouring listed buildings and the scheduled medieval amphitheatre, and makes a positive and important contribution to the street scene

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.