This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.1372 / 52°8'13"N
Longitude: -1.9182 / 1°55'5"W
OS Eastings: 405692
OS Northings: 248765
OS Grid: SP056487
Mapcode National: GBR 3KS.V6B
Mapcode Global: VHB0M.PKR0
Entry Name: War Memorial in the Graveyard to St James the Great
Listing Date: 23 May 2011
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1400191
Location: Harvington, Wychavon, Worcestershire, WR11
Civil Parish: Harvington
Built-Up Area: Harvington
Traditional County: Worcestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Worcestershire
Church of England Parish: Harvington
Church of England Diocese: Worcester
A churchyard memorial cross, erected in 1945, which commemorates the dead of both world wars.
A war memorial, dating from 1945. It is of stone and sits on a square plinth with three steps. Above this is a square base formed by a single, large block of stone. This has an inscription to the east face which reads: `TO THE / GLORY OF GOD / AND IN GRATEFUL MEMORY OF / THOSE WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES / IN THE WAR 1914-1919 / AND 1939-1945 / (NAMES) / GREATER LOVE HATH NO MAN THAN THIS / THAT A MAN LAYETH DOWN HIS LIFE FOR HIS FRIENDS'. The base has broach stops at the corners and dies back to the lower body of the shaft, which is flared. This, in turn, dies back via broaches to an octagonal upper shaft which has a moulded cap and a cross finial with circular, stone aureole. The names of the dead are written on the sides of the base.
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Online. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 18 January 2017.
The memorial was erected in 1945 by the Harvington branch of the British Legion, and the names of the fallen from both World Wars were inscribed on it. The memorial has recently been cleaned and repaired. It appears not to have been altered since its erection.
The war memorial in the Graveyard, the Church of St James the Great, Harvington, is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Architectural: the memorial is a strong composition, well suited to its prominent site at the centre of the graveyard, St James's Church, Harvington.
* Intact state: the memorial appears to have suffered no loss or alteration.
* Historic interest: a permanent testament to the sacrifice of The Fallen in both World Wars.
* Group value: with the Church of St James, Harvington (Grade I).
Other nearby listed buildings