History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Ringmer War Memorial

A Grade II Listed Building in Ringmer, East Sussex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.8934 / 50°53'36"N

Longitude: 0.0554 / 0°3'19"E

OS Eastings: 544653

OS Northings: 112445

OS Grid: TQ446124

Mapcode National: GBR LR2.W9S

Mapcode Global: FRA C60R.1FL

Entry Name: Ringmer War Memorial

Listing Date: 23 May 2011

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1400375

Location: Ringmer, Lewes, East Sussex, BN8

County: East Sussex

District: Lewes

Civil Parish: Ringmer

Built-Up Area: Ringmer

Traditional County: Sussex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex

Church of England Parish: Ringmer St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Chichester

Find accommodation in
Ringmer

Summary

War memorial, c1920, by D Kibbler.

Description

War Memorial, c1920, by D Kibbler

The memorial is constructed of St Aldhelm Box Ground stone and takes the form of a medieval-style wheel cross, standing atop a slim tapering pillar a square plinth and octagonal four stepped base. The memorial is surrounded by a ring of eight low stone piers linked with simple chains and is located on the village green.

The concave front and back faces of the top step are inscribed with dedications and the plinth with the names of the fallen. The front face dedication reads 'OUR GLORIOUS DEAD' and on the back face 'THEIR NAME LIVETH FOR EVERMORE'.


This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 1 December 2016.

History

The war memorial was designed by Mr D Kibbler of Ringmer and was built by Messrs Norman and Burt of Burgess Hill. Funded by public subscription, it was unveiled on 15th August 1920 by Brigadier-General Frederick Gore Anley and dedicated by Rev Robson Leefe. The names of the Fallen of World War II were later added to the memorial.

The memorial underwent cleaning, repairs and selective re-cutting of letters in April 2003 following a grant towards the works from the War Memorials Trust.

Reasons for Listing

The war memorial in Ringmer village, erected in 1920, is designated at Grade II, for the following principal reasons:
* Architectural interest: an elegant war memorial which takes a simple form which befits its sombre purpose.
* Historic interest: it has strong cultural and historical significance within both a local and national context.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.