This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.3228 / 54°19'21"N
Longitude: -2.5281 / 2°31'41"W
OS Eastings: 365750
OS Northings: 492039
OS Grid: SD657920
Mapcode National: GBR BLSG.G5
Mapcode Global: WH944.4LFY
Entry Name: Sedbergh War Memorial
Listing Date: 27 October 2011
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1400659
Location: Sedbergh, South Lakeland, Cumbria, LA10
District: South Lakeland
Civil Parish: Sedbergh
Built-Up Area: Sedbergh
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Sedbergh, Cautley and Garsdale
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
An elegant First World War memorial with Second World War additions, designed by Sir John, Hubert Worthington, an old Sedberghian and Principal Architect of the Commonwealth War Graves Commission. It is situated in a paved area within the south east corner of St Andrew's Churchyard and can be accessed from the street, via a gated entrance through the churchyard wall.
MATERIALS: sandstone with limestone tablets attached to the base.
DESCRIPTION: the memorial takes the form of a simple cross on a slender 2m high tapered shaft with stop-chamfered corners. The bottom of the cross shaft's east face is inscribed with the words LAUS / DEO. The cross is set on a square base which in turn is set upon a larger square plinth.The inscription on the east face of the base reads:
REMEMBER THE MEN / of SEDBERGH TOWN who / COUNTING NOT their LIVES / DEAR unto THEMSELVES DIED / for FREEDOM and COUNTRY / IN THE GREAT WAR / 1914 - 1919.
The other tablets affixed to the base are inscribed with the 40 names of The Fallen of Sedbergh and the north and south faces of the plinth are inscribed with the names of 19 men who fell in the Second World War.
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Online. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 3 February 2017.
Sedbergh War Memorial was designed by Sir John Hubert Worthington (1886-1963), an Old Sedberghian and the Principal Architect of the Commonwealth War Graves Commission, at a cost of £304 5s 9p (£304.29p). The unveiling ceremony took place on 12 December 1920 and was performed by Brigadier General North, CB, MVO. In the late 1940s polished stone tablets were fixed to the base of the cross shaft and were inscribed with the names of the fallen from the Great War. Those names were originally inscribed on the sandstone base and were revealed when the tablets were removed for renovation in 2009. The names of the fallen from the Second World War were inscribed on the north and south faces of the stone plinth, also in the late 1940s.
* Historic Interest: It is an eloquent witness to the impact of tragic world events on this community;
* Artistic: It is an elegant memorial of understated character;
* Designer: it was designed by Sir John Hubert Worthington, an Old Sedberghian and Principal Architect of the Commonwealth War Graves Commission
Other nearby listed buildings