History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Vivian's Shaft Headframe, Great Condurrow Mine

A Grade II Listed Building in Camborne, Cornwall

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.2064 / 50°12'22"N

Longitude: -5.2824 / 5°16'56"W

OS Eastings: 165879

OS Northings: 39197

OS Grid: SW658391

Mapcode National: GBR Z0.T1GX

Mapcode Global: VH12Q.D27M

Entry Name: Vivian's Shaft Headframe, Great Condurrow Mine

Listing Date: 13 July 2011

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1401848

Location: Camborne, Cornwall, TR14

County: Cornwall

Civil Parish: Camborne

Built-Up Area: Camborne

Traditional County: Cornwall

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall

Church of England Parish: Camborne and Tuckinghill

Church of England Diocese: Truro

Find accommodation in
Camborne

Summary

The headframe over Vivian's Shaft at Great Condurrow Mine.

Description

The headframe over Vivian's Shaft at Great Condurrow Mine survives as a small steel girder structure which was designed by Head Wrightson & Co. Ltd. Of Thornaby-on-Tees in 1936, built by Holman Bros. of Camborne and erected by the staff and students of King Edward Mine in early 1937.

The headframe takes the form of a steel girder tower set directly over the winding shaft and is braced by a pair of extended legs called boomstays. The entire frame is braced and triangulated for strength and is set on elongated bearers which are bolted down to a levelled platform surrounding the shaft opening.


History

The headframe is situated within the western part of Great Condurrow Mine which between 1845 and 1876 was a major tin and copper producer employing over 380 people at its height. The headframe was erected over Vivian's Shaft, which was previously known as East Shaft, in 1937 by the staff and students of King Edward Mine. In recent years the headframe, associated buildings and underground workings provided a training facility for the Camborne School of Mines.
It is the only known surviving headframe in the United Kingdom which was specifically built for training purposes.

Reasons for Listing

The headframe at Vivian's Shaft, Great Condurrow Mine is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
Historic interest: it is the oldest surviving intact example of a headframe in Cornwall and the only surviving one in the United Kingdom which was built solely for training purposes and used by generations of mining students who have influenced mining activities throughout the world
Rarity: it is a rare and good example of the smaller type of headframe, once a common feature of the mining landscape

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.