This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.4855 / 51°29'7"N
Longitude: -0.1898 / 0°11'23"W
OS Eastings: 525784
OS Northings: 177838
OS Grid: TQ257778
Mapcode National: GBR 1P.KN
Mapcode Global: VHGQY.NXHL
Entry Name: Tomb of Philip Nowell, Brompton Cemetery
Listing Date: 21 December 2011
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1403334
Location: Kensington and Chelsea, London, SW10
District: Kensington and Chelsea
Electoral Ward/Division: Redcliffe
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Built-Up Area: Kensington and Chelsea
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St Luke, South Kensington
Church of England Diocese: London
Altar tomb for Philip Nowell and family, 1843.
MATERIALS: Portland stone
A Gothic altar tomb comprising a plinth carved with a series of blind trefoiled panels, and a tall central pedestal displaying blind ogee niches with crockets and flanking pinnacles. In front is a ledger slab, inscribed 'Entrance to the family vault of Philip Nowell of Lower Belgrave Place Pimlico', which marks the entrance to the vault beneath.
Philip Nowell (c.1781-1853) was a major London builder, based at Grosvenor Wharf, Pimlico. His firm was among the contractors for the building of Belgravia during the early C19, and was also responsible for the construction of the main buildings and boundary walls at Brompton Cemetery. The present tomb was originally erected following the death in 1842 of his son George; his wife Anne and daughters Mary and Catherine, all of whom predeceased him, are also buried within.
Brompton Cemetery was one of the 'magnificent seven' privately-run burial grounds established in the 1830s and 1840s to relieve pressure on London's overcrowded churchyards. It was laid out in 1839-1844 to designs by the architect Benjamin B Baud, who devised a classical landscape of axial drives and vistas with rond-points at the intersections marked by mausolea or ornamental planting, the latter devised by Isaac Finnemore with advice from J C Loudon. The main Ceremonial Way culminates in a dramatic architectural ensemble recalling Bernini's piazza in front of St Peter's in Rome, with flanking colonnades curving outwards to form a Great Circle, closed at its southern end in a domed Anglican chapel (the planned Catholic and Nonconformist chapels were omitted for financial reasons). The cemetery, never a commercial success, was compulsorily purchased by the General Board of Health in the early 1850s, and has remained in state ownership ever since.
* Historic interest: commemorates Philip Nowell, the building contractor responsible for the principal structures at the cemetery;
* Design interest: a large and imposing Gothic altar tomb;
* Group value: it is located within the Grade I-registered Brompton Cemetery and has group value with other listed tombs and structures nearby.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings