This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5827 / 51°34'57"N
Longitude: -0.3318 / 0°19'54"W
OS Eastings: 515683
OS Northings: 188407
OS Grid: TQ156884
Mapcode National: GBR 62.YX3
Mapcode Global: VHGQH.6HG2
Entry Name: World War II war memorial in the churchyard of St John the Baptist
Listing Date: 27 September 2011
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1404081
Location: Harrow, London, HA1
Electoral Ward/Division: Greenhill
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Built-Up Area: Harrow
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St John the Baptist Greenhill
Church of England Diocese: London
World War II war memorial. Dedicated 1951, designer unknown.
The memorial stands in the churchyard to the north of the Grade II listed church, overlooking the intersection of Station and Sheepcote Roads. It consists of a low rectangular Portland stone pillar with chamfered corners, slightly projecting cap and rustication at the base. The north face of the pillar is recessed and bears a bronze tablet bearing the following inscription: TO THE/ ENDURING MEMORY/ OF/ THE MEN OF THE/ PARISH OF/ GREENHILL/ WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES/ IN THE/ CAUSE OF FREEDOM/ 1939-1945. The pillar stands on a slightly domed, three-tier, wide octagonal, stone-paved base.
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Online. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 16 February 2017.
Dedicated on 24 June 1951 by the noted anti-apartheid campaigner, Reverend Joost de Blank (1908-1968), later Bishop of Stepney and Archbishop of Capetown. It formed part of a three-fold plan of commemoration with a plaque in the church inscribed with the names of the fallen, a dwarf stone wall round the north and east of the churchyard (this has since been removed) and a memorial garden with the memorial at its centre. The memorial was originally topped by a wooden flag pole which was removed some time after 1988.
* Historic interest: as a poignant reminder of the tragic impact of world events on this community; for its relative rarity as a memorial solely to the fallen of World War II; and for the additional interest of having been dedicated by Reverend Joost de Blank, a celebrated opponent of apartheid.
Other nearby listed buildings