History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Sewer Gas Lamp

A Grade II Listed Building in Monkseaton South, North Tyneside

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.0381 / 55°2'17"N

Longitude: -1.4604 / 1°27'37"W

OS Eastings: 434582

OS Northings: 571647

OS Grid: NZ345716

Mapcode National: GBR LB75.MR

Mapcode Global: WHD4K.JMSK

Entry Name: Sewer Gas Lamp

Listing Date: 19 January 2012

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1405385

Location: North Tyneside, NE25

County: North Tyneside

Electoral Ward/Division: Monkseaton South

Parish: Non Civil Parish

Built-Up Area: Whitley Bay

Traditional County: Northumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Tyne and Wear

Church of England Parish: Monkseaton St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Newcastle

Find accommodation in
Whitley Bay

Summary

One of ten surviving Sewer gas lamps erected in the Whitley Bay and Monkseaton areas between 1900 and 1910.

Description

Sewer gas lamp, early C20.

The standard is of fluted cast iron with a curved glass lantern; the lantern is supported by four ornamental brackets and it has a high valve to the domed canopy; there is a ladder rest at the top, which also supports the hinged top of the hood when open for cleaning or maintenance. The lamp has a cast-iron base plate reading: 'J.E.WEBBS PATENT SEWER GAS DESTRUCTOR' and 'WEBB LAMP Co. LIMITED POULTRY'. The lantern head bears the name 'SUGG'.

History

This lamp is one of 17 Sewer Gas Lamps erected in the Whitley Bay and Monkseaton areas between 1900 and 1910 of which 10 survive. The following description of their purpose and design is taken from "The History of Monkseaton Village’ by Local Historian Charlie Steel.

"In the 1890s, Joseph Edmund Webb, a builder from Birmingham, invented and patented his sewer gas destructor lamp, and later formed the Webb Engineering Company. Within ten years of their introduction, these lamps were found all over England and in many other parts of the world. Old sewers were often badly laid out and poorly vented, so there was always a danger of disease (or even explosion) from methane and fetid stagnant gases, which could build up in the system. The lamps, which were connected to the ordinary town gas supply, were installed at high points in the system and were coupled directly to the underground sewer. They were usually lit by three mantles, which were rarely extinguished. The burning mantles created an intense heat within the hood, leading to an updraught, which drew air from the sewer through a copper tube inside the column; the sewer gas was therefore harmlessly burned off, thus converting the methane into Carbon Dioxide before being released into the atmosphere. One lamp was capable of venting an area of up to three quarters of a mile of sewer’.

Reasons for Listing

This C20 sewer gas lamp is recommended for designation at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Rarity: although gas lamps were once common features of our street scenes they are increasingly rare and those combined with sewer vents are rarer still.
* Intactness: this is an intact example with a complete glass lantern.
* Design quality: not withstanding its humble nature, this is an attractive gas standard with a fluted cast-iron base and ornamental brackets.
* Group value: this is one of a small group of ten intact sewer gas lamps in the Monkseaton and Whitley Bay area.
* Technological: it illustrates a technology, which once transformed everyday existence, and its contribution to the public realm was considerable.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.