This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.3987 / 51°23'55"N
Longitude: -2.3688 / 2°22'7"W
OS Eastings: 374441
OS Northings: 166696
OS Grid: ST744666
Mapcode National: GBR 0Q9.7XT
Mapcode Global: VH96L.W3LK
Entry Name: Lodge with attached walls, gate-piers and gates to Kingswood School
Listing Date: 11 November 2011
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1405695
Location: Bath and North East Somerset, BA1
County: Bath and North East Somerset
Electoral Ward/Division: Lansdown
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Built-Up Area: Bath
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
A gate lodge with attached walls, gate-piers and gates to Kingswood School.
Lodge and adjoining wall of c.1860, by James Wilson, and the walls, gate-piers and gates of a First World War memorial gateway of c.1920.
MATERIALS: The lodge is built in limestone ashlar with a Welsh slate roof and has a double depth plan whilst the attached wall is of square ashlar blocks with coped castellations. The war memorial gateway has limestone ashlar walls and gate-piers and wrought-iron gates.
EXTERIOR: the lodge has two storeys, and a single window bay, and is built in a Tudor Gothic style. The front elevation has a canted bay with a stone mullioned window of 1:2:1-lights, each divided into four-panes. There is a Tudor arch door to the left in the lean-to extension. Above is a two-light stone mullioned window in recessed frame, each light with four-panes. It has a gable with double kneelers and moulded coping, with a moulded finial. The street elevation has a projecting stack with set off, weathering, double shaft set on diamond and castellated caps. To the right is a plinth below a window with three-panes in recessed frame, below one with four-panes. Gable with single kneeler, moulded coping and cross finial. Adjoining the lodge on the right-hand side is a castellated wall. The war memorial gateway comprises wrought-iron double gates, in an elaborate C18 manner, with an overthrow containing the school crest, flanked by panelled piers with cornices and large acorn finials. These in turn are flanked by single gates and smaller plain piers. The lower wing wall connects with the lodge.
INTERIOR: Not inspected.
The lodge with attached walls, gate piers and gates form an attractive addition to the main school buildings with which they have strong group value.
The first build at Kingswood School was completed in 1851, and it is believed that the entrance lodge and the adjoining castellated wall were erected shortly afterwards, c.1860, to the designs of James Wilson. In c.1920 the walls, gate-piers and gates of a First World War memorial gateway were added at the school entrance to commemorate the former fallen pupils of the school.
* Architectural interest: for the Tudor Gothic design of the lodge and the elaborate ironwork of the gates which, together, form an attractive composition fronting Lansdown Road;
* Group value: with the main school building and the school chapel, both listed at Grade II.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings