History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Chapel of Kingswood School

A Grade II Listed Building in Lansdown, Bath and North East Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.3984 / 51°23'54"N

Longitude: -2.3689 / 2°22'7"W

OS Eastings: 374433

OS Northings: 166656

OS Grid: ST744666

Mapcode National: GBR 0Q9.7WV

Mapcode Global: VH96L.W3JV

Entry Name: Chapel of Kingswood School

Listing Date: 15 November 2011

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1405701

Location: Bath and North East Somerset, BA1

County: Bath and North East Somerset

Electoral Ward/Division: Lansdown

Parish: Non Civil Parish

Built-Up Area: Bath

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Bath

Summary

A school chapel, built in 1922 as a war memorial to the fallen former pupils of Kingswood School.

Description

Commemorative school chapel. 1922. By Gunton and Gunton.

MATERIALS: Bath limestone ashlar with a Welsh slate roof.

PLAN: a rectangular nave with apsed chancel.

EXTERIOR: built in a Perpendicular style. The west end has an unfinished look as if a porch was intended. A recessed doorway surrounded by a shield moulding is framed by buttresses with offsets. These are flanked by two-light mullioned windows with cusped heads and drip moulds over. Above is a five-light Perpendicular window with hood-mould over. Buttresses with offsets at either side. Side elevations of five bays, three-light windows with a band of shields on a wide transom. Buttresses with offsets. Corbel table, castellated parapet. Apsed chancel with lancet window to each face.

INTERIOR: contains a lobby under the west gallery, a four-bay nave with hammer beam roof, and shield band on the window transoms as to the exterior. Good quality oak joinery and furniture. Panelled front to the gallery and panelled screen below.

History

The chapel was built as a war memorial to the former fallen pupils of the school. It complements the slightly different Tudor Gothic style of the main school.

Reasons for Listing

* Architectural interest: as a good example of an early-C20 commemorative chapel built in the Neo-Perpendicular Gothic style;
* Group value: with the main school building and the entrance lodge and memorial gateway, both listed at Grade II.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.