This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.3933 / 51°23'36"N
Longitude: -2.349 / 2°20'56"W
OS Eastings: 375810
OS Northings: 166091
OS Grid: ST758660
Mapcode National: GBR 0QB.LXJ
Mapcode Global: VH96M.77HP
Entry Name: 1, 2 and 3 Mile End
Listing Date: 5 December 2011
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1405787
Location: Bath and North East Somerset, BA1
County: Bath and North East Somerset
Electoral Ward/Division: Walcot
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Built-Up Area: Bath
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
Shops with offices over. Dated 1862, with mid-C20 alterations to the shop-fronts.
MATERIALS: limestone ashlar with a Welsh slate roof.
PLAN: a half H-shaped block with central cart entrance to a rear courtyard. It was intended to be part of a continuous frontage, but now both returns are visible.
EXTERIOR: two storeys, five bays, centre set slightly forward and containing carriageway. Ground floor has plain Tuscan pilasters at quoins and at either side of central arch. Plain frieze with bracketed cornice above. Shop-fronts on either side, each have four arched heads, on right (No.1) outer ones have modern doorways with panelled doors with integrated fanlights, plate glass between and in fanlights above, while on left (Nos.2 and 3) it has four light shop window without door. Entrance to shop, now part of same property, in single storey extension with shop-front. This dates from 1919, by AJ Taylor. Central entrance has paired panelled gates, each with three vertical openings and down curved top rail. First floor pilasters continue up as rusticated quoins. Centre bay has Venetian window with raised architrave with keystone head. Other bays have paired windows with arched heads, raised architraves, keystones and impost blocks. All windows are plain plate glass sashes. Modillion cornice, hipped roof with ashlar stack to right. Central feature to front in form of double stack joined at top to make bell-cote with a large keyed head, the base of which carries the date 1862. Side elevations, originally intended to be hidden, are plain.
INTERIOR: Not inspected.
Built in 1862 and extended in 1919.
* Architectural interest: its bold, Italianate design is a good example of its type;
* Intactness: the building has remained largely unaltered and retains its matching shop fronts;
* Group value: with the numerous listed buildings opposite, in Kensington Place.
Other nearby listed buildings