This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.1485 / 50°8'54"N
Longitude: -5.6556 / 5°39'20"W
OS Eastings: 138940
OS Northings: 34009
OS Grid: SW389340
Mapcode National: GBR DXF9.075
Mapcode Global: VH057.XJGH
Entry Name: Milestone 22m south-west of Springs Bungalow
Listing Date: 10 September 2012
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1405968
Location: St. Just, Cornwall, TR19
Civil Parish: St. Just
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Pendeen
Church of England Diocese: Truro
A milestone of 1868 adjacent to the B3318 on the Penzance to St Just turnpike route.
The milestone is rectangular on plan and has roughly hewn stone surfaces to the faces, with smoother carving at the corners. There is a recessed panel to the west face, which is nearly square and bears the number '6' in relief. This has been painted black, whereas the rest of the stone is painted white. Above this is a pyramidal cap, with flat top.
The milestone stands on the present B3318, six miles from Penzance, on a turnpike road. This route was laid out in 1863, across Boscaswell Higher Downs, as an alternative to the former road which lay to the south and which led over the steep Dry Carn Hill. It provided a gentler route for the teams of four horses which had replaced pack mules and which were used to haul wagons for the mining industry on the North Cornwall coast. The Penzance and St Just Turnpike Trust was founded in 1863 to respond to the needs of local industry. There was a continuation Act in 1884 and the trust expired in November 1885.
The milestone 22m south-west of Springs Bungalow, near Springs Farm, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Intactness: an intact milestone dating from 1863, which remains in its original position.
* Group value: with the other listed milestones along the Penzance to St Just turnpike route.
Other nearby listed buildings