This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.1284 / 50°7'42"N
Longitude: -5.6017 / 5°36'5"W
OS Eastings: 142686
OS Northings: 31582
OS Grid: SW426315
Mapcode National: GBR DXKB.LYG
Mapcode Global: VH05G.V1HD
Entry Name: Milestone approximately 98m E of Carthew Cottages
Listing Date: 9 July 2012
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1405971
Location: Madron, Cornwall, TR20
Civil Parish: Madron
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Madron
Church of England Diocese: Truro
A milestone of the mid-C19.
MATERIALS: A granite milestone which stands on the north side of the road between Penzance and St Just (now the A3071).
PLAN: The stone is rectangular on plan with a truncated rectangular pyramid top and stands just over 1 metre high.
EXTERIOR: The roadside (south) face of the stone carries the inscription: "3" in a square, recessed panel. The lettering is painted black.
The milestone is marked on the first edition Ordnance Survey map of 1880. It forms part of a group of stones along the road between Penzance and St Just that were erected in the early to mid-C19 and are of two designs. The earlier examples, which pre-date the establishment of the turnpike, have arched tops; while those erected by the newly formed Penzance & St Just Turnpike Trust in 1863, including the milestone under assessment, have pyramid tops. The road on which the milestones were erected linked the main mining region on the north coast of Penwith with the stannary town and harbour at Penzance. It was thus a busy industrial road that carried heavy mining traffic.
The milestone approximately 98m east of Carthew Cottages, Newbridge is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Intactness: it is an intact mid-C19 milestone which remains in its original position
* Historic Interest: it was erected on a busy and important freight road through this prosperous mining area, when the Penwith Turnpike Trust was founded in 1863
* Group value: it forms a group with other surviving milestones along the road between Penzance and St Just
Other nearby listed buildings