This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.3818 / 51°22'54"N
Longitude: -2.3593 / 2°21'33"W
OS Eastings: 375087
OS Northings: 164810
OS Grid: ST750648
Mapcode National: GBR 0QH.BBJ
Mapcode Global: VH96M.2J2K
Entry Name: 9-10 Cheap Street
Listing Date: 20 December 2011
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1406041
Location: Bath and North East Somerset, BA1
County: Bath and North East Somerset
Electoral Ward/Division: Abbey
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Built-Up Area: Bath
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
Shop with accommodation over, now mixed use, built in 1895 to a design by Major Charles Davis in an eclectic C17 style, curved to the corner between Cheap Street and High Street, altered in the C20.
MATERIALS: Limestone ashlar with a Welsh slate roof.
PLAN: An enclosed site, single-depth plan with windows only to front except to the upper floors.
EXTERIOR: Three storeys, three bays. Ground floor has original shop-fronts with central entrance and flanking display windows, and small square panes in fascia above. Bays separated by blocked pilasters which support continuous cornice. First floor each bay has large segmental headed window with continuous drip-mould and keyed head. Windows are five light with mullions and transom, centre light is wider with higher transom. Between each window an arched panel supports a narrow giant pilaster. Plain wider pilasters at either end of front. Sill band to second floor, outer bays have single light window flanking two-light one, centre bay has five-light window, all with transom and raised architraves. Each window below transom is plain sash. Third floor has paired plain sashes with central mullion, each pair has apron with raised surround below. Dentil cornice, parapet, mansard roof with four flat topped dormers with two/two sashes. Roof line altered from original gables, as shown in a photograph in the Bath Graphic, May, 1896.
INTERIORS: Not inspected.
This late-Victorian commission was from WH Smith, a luggage and trunk manufacturer, whose initials survive on the building. It was widened and re-fronted under Baldwin’s direction in c1790.
* Architectural interest: despite some later alteration, this is a well-proportioned late-C19 building in an eclectic C17 style;
* Group Value: it forms an important part of the design of a group of buildings which lie on a significant street within the conservation area and world heritage site of the City of Bath.
Other nearby listed buildings