History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of the Ascension

A Grade II Listed Building in Westmoreland, Bath and North East Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.3743 / 51°22'27"N

Longitude: -2.3824 / 2°22'56"W

OS Eastings: 373479

OS Northings: 163982

OS Grid: ST734639

Mapcode National: GBR 0QG.Y6G

Mapcode Global: VH96L.NQDB

Entry Name: Church of the Ascension

Listing Date: 11 November 2011

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1406075

Location: Bath and North East Somerset, BA2

County: Bath and North East Somerset

Electoral Ward/Division: Westmoreland

Parish: Non Civil Parish

Built-Up Area: Bath

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Bath

Summary

Church built in 1907 and 1911. Designed by E Buckle in a Free Perpendicular style, with some earlier characteristics.

Description

MATERIALS: limestone ashlar with slate roofs.

PLAN: the nave, north and south aisles and south porch date from 1907, and the chancel with south aisle were added in 1911.

EXTERIOR: the west wall faces the street. It is framed by stepped buttresses and has a large three-light window with mullions. It has a small bell-cote to the left and a gable cross. The porch entrance to left gives access to the north aisle. The aisle windows have three-lights with coupled lights in a clerestory above. The chancel has a five-light east window.

INTERIOR: a five-bay nave, with lozenge shaped piers with two orders of arches dying into piers without capitals. Hood-moulds to rere-arches of the aisle windows. A moulded stone reredos in five compartments, pitch-pine desks, choir seats and pulpit.

History

The main part of the church was constructed in 1907, a year after the foundation stone was laid. It was designed by the architect E. Buckle. The chancel and south aisle were added in 1911.

The hall to the rear was added in 1969; and an office and meeting rooms completed in 1998.

Reasons for Listing

* Architectural interest: a balanced and well-considered design of two phases in a Free Perpendicular style;
* Internal features: it survives largely unaltered and retains its original historic character and some internal fittings.


Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.