This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.342 / 51°20'31"N
Longitude: -0.6441 / 0°38'38"W
OS Eastings: 494542
OS Northings: 161201
OS Grid: SU945612
Mapcode National: GBR FB3.S04
Mapcode Global: VHFV0.SJCJ
Entry Name: West End War Memorial
Listing Date: 31 January 2012
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1406090
Location: West End, Surrey Heath, Surrey, GU24
District: Surrey Heath
Civil Parish: West End
Built-Up Area: Woking
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Bisley and West End
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
West End war memorial, 1923 to commemorate the men of West End who fell during the First World War. Those who fell during the Second World War are also commemorated.
The memorial is of stone and takes the form of a Celtic wheel cross with a wide shaft. The monument stands 3.3 metres high on a two-step base; the top step bears the inscription:
THIS CROSS WAS ERECTED IN GRATEFUL MEMORY / OF THE MEN FROM THIS PARISH WHO FELL IN THE GREAT WAR 1914-1918 / WHO STANDS IF FREEDOM FALL WHO DIES IF ENGLAND LIVE / AND IN THE / GREAT WAR / 1939-1945
The shaft of the cross bears the Roll of Honour on both sides.
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 5 December 2016.
West End war memorial was unveiled on 3 April 1923 and stood at the junction of the High Street and Guildford Road. The memorial was executed by the London Necropolis Company at their works at Brookwood, Surrey, and was paid for by public subscription. Names of those who fell during the Second World War were added subsequently.
In December 1972 the memorial was moved to its present location, at the junction of Church Road and Windlesham Road.
West End war memorial, erected in 1923, is designated at Grade II for the following principal reason:
* Historical interest: as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by this community in both World Wars, it is of strong historic and cultural significance both at a local and a national level.
Other nearby listed buildings