This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.3212 / 51°19'16"N
Longitude: -0.2602 / 0°15'36"W
OS Eastings: 521329
OS Northings: 159444
OS Grid: TQ213594
Mapcode National: GBR 94.K37
Mapcode Global: VHGRW.F2S0
Entry Name: Epsom War Memorial
Listing Date: 27 January 2012
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1406252
Location: Epsom and Ewell, Surrey, KT18
District: Epsom and Ewell
Electoral Ward/Division: College
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Built-Up Area: Epsom
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Epsom St Martin
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
War memorial. Erected 1921.
The memorial takes the form of a tall, rough-hewn, white granite Celtic cross on a deep three-stepped hexagonal base. The head of the cross is carved with a tree and a central crucifix. Towards the base of the shaft is a carved laurel wreath and crown. On the other side, the head of the cross is carved with Celtic designs and a central crown, and a sword on the shaft.
Spread between the three steps at the base is the following inscription:
TO / THE GLORY OF GOD / AND / TO THE LASTING HONOUR OF THE / INHABITANTS OF EPSOM / AND EWELL / WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES / IN THE GREAT WAR 1914 – 1918 / AND THE WORLD WAR 1939 – 1945 / THEIR REWARD ALSO IS WITH THE LORD AND THE CARE OF THEM IS WITH THE MOST HIGH
Behind the cross is a wall, also of granite, which bears the Roll of Honour. To either side of the wall are two memorial gates in a neo-Classical style, and a granite dwarf wall with railings. The walls, gates and railings form part of the boundary of Epsom Cemetery, as well as part of the memorial.
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 5 December 2016.
Epsom War Memorial was erected in 1921 to commemorate the fallen of Epsom and Ewell, but it was not until 1923 that the 265 names of those who fell were added. The two gates which form part of the memorial are dedicated to the memory of the University and Public Schools Brigade, which formed the 18th, 19th, 20th and 21st Battalions of the Royal Fusiliers. Epsom was host to this brigade, and individuals were billeted with the people of Epsom before the camp at Woodcote Park was erected in early 1915.
After the Second World War the inscription on the memorial was added to in commemoration of those who fell in this conflict.
Epsom War Memorial is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historical interest: as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by this community in both World Wars, and subsequent conflicts, it is of strong historic and cultural significance both at a local and a national level
* Architectural interest: the memorial is a simple but handsome monument, enhanced by the design quality of the walls and railings behind it which form part of the ensemble
Other nearby listed buildings