History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Hearse House in Churchyard of Church of St Mary

A Grade II Listed Building in St Mary's, Bury

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.5297 / 53°31'46"N

Longitude: -2.2864 / 2°17'10"W

OS Eastings: 381114

OS Northings: 403709

OS Grid: SD811037

Mapcode National: GBR DWGM.TF

Mapcode Global: WH983.VJFX

Entry Name: Hearse House in Churchyard of Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 21 February 2012

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1406340

Location: Bury, M25

County: Bury

Electoral Ward/Division: St Mary's

Parish: Non Civil Parish

Built-Up Area: Manchester

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester

Church of England Parish: Prestwich St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Manchester

Find accommodation in
Prestwich

Summary

Hearse house, 1801 with later alterations.

Description

MATERIALS: brick with ashlar dressings, slate roof.

EXTERIOR: Hearse house stands to north-east corner of churchyard to north of St Mary's Church. Slender, near full-height gableted piers to south and east elevations, gableted kneelers to eastern gable end. Pitched roof of rear (western) half of building replaced with a flat roof. East gable end with off-centre doorway with a shallow-arched head and ashlar lintel, and a panelled door with a modern metal covering (an identical doorway and door to the west end have been sealed off but can be observed internally). Later narrow doorway inserted to south elevation of rear section. Mid-late C20, single-storey, flat-roofed toilet block extension attached to west end of hearse house with doorways and small windows to south and west elevations is not of special interest.

INTERIOR: Now used as a store. Divided into two (front and rear halves), both with whitewashed walls and stone sett floors. Front section contains an original timber ledger cupboard fixed to one of the walls, an enclosed brick corner stove and chimneybreast. Stone crest, 1668, of Edward Kenyon built into north wall, which came from his monument in St Mary's Church. Interior also incorporates an incised, late medieval stone tomb slab depicting a floriated cross and shears. Wall-mounted hooks to interior of rear section.

History

St Mary's Church, Prestwich, dates to the C14 with later alterations, and the oldest extant grave marker in the churchyard dates to 1641. However, the topography of the churchyard suggests a much older burial ground. The churchyard has been extended many times, including in 1827 when boundary walls were constructed. Prior to these walls being erected the churchyard was enclosed by a ditch and hedge created in 1706, and subsequently by the planting of beech and fir trees in 1763. Further extensions of the churchyard occurred in 1864, 1886, 1924 and 1950.

The western section of the churchyard contains, amongst other graves, the unmarked burials of thousands of inmates of the County Asylum Prestwich dating from the mid-C19 to early-C20, although several communal graves for the asylum's attendants and some inmates are marked by grave slabs. In 1801 the hearse house (altered in the mid-late C20) was constructed to the north of the church.

Reasons for Listing

The hearse house in St Mary's churchyard, Prestwich, is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

* Date and survival: It is an important survival of a late Georgian hearse house with a design that is above the purely functional, and which despite some later alteration retains many original features, including stone sett floors and a timber ledger cupboard
* Historic interest: Built into the walls of the interior is a 1668 tomb crest and a medieval tomb slab with incised decoration.
* Historical context: It illustrates the extensive history of the St Mary's churchyard and the original Prestwich-cum-Oldham parish, once one of the largest and wealthiest parishes in the country
* Group value: It has group value with the Grade I listed St Mary's Church and the other listed monuments and structures in the St Mary's churchyard

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.