This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.3889 / 51°23'20"N
Longitude: -2.3653 / 2°21'55"W
OS Eastings: 374675
OS Northings: 165607
OS Grid: ST746656
Mapcode National: GBR 0Q9.W87
Mapcode Global: VH96L.YCD2
Entry Name: 7A Harley Street
Listing Date: 19 January 2012
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1406350
Location: Bath and North East Somerset, BA1
County: Bath and North East Somerset
Electoral Ward/Division: Lansdown
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Built-Up Area: Bath
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
An early-C19 stable block, now converted to a house and garages.
A stable block, now a house with garages. Early C19 with C20 additions.
MATERIALS: limestone ashlar, roof unseen.
PLAN: double depth plan.
EXTERIOR: two storey, three-window range. The building, a little higher than No.7, has a coped parapet and cornice. To the first floor of the street front are three horned six/six-pane sash windows, with to the ground floor right a plain opening and over-light to a C20 door. The left return has horned eight/eight-pane sash windows to the centre and left of the first floor, flanking a horned six/six-pane sash. The ground floor has three C20 garages.
INTERIOR: Not inspected.
Part of the ground conveyed to Fielder, King, Hewlett and Broom(e) by Sir Peter Rivers Gay on 25 March 1790 on which St James's Square and adjoining streets were built; this plot remained undeveloped until 1817 when Manners' New and Correct Plan of Bath shows houses on sites of Nos 3-6 and Portland Chapel opposite. The school building standing to the south was built in 1821; No. 7, which adjoins the stable building, is thought to have been associated with the school.
No 7A Harley Street is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historical Interest:as a small early-C19 former stable block, in an urban setting
* Group Value: with the adjoining house, No. 7, and with the former St Andrew's School, both listed at Grade II
Other nearby listed buildings