This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.3758 / 51°22'33"N
Longitude: -2.3431 / 2°20'35"W
OS Eastings: 376214
OS Northings: 164144
OS Grid: ST762641
Mapcode National: GBR 0QJ.NFQ
Mapcode Global: VH96M.BPN4
Entry Name: Non-Conformist Chapel in Smallcombe Cemetery (formerly Bathwick Cemetery)
Listing Date: 20 December 2011
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1406352
Location: Bath and North East Somerset, BA2
County: Bath and North East Somerset
Electoral Ward/Division: Bathwick
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
Non-conformist Chapel in Smallcombe Cemetery (formerly Bathwick Cemetery), built in c1861 to a design by AS Goodridge.
MATERIAL: random squared limestone rubble, with a pyramid roof in bands of plain and scalloped slates, small gabled vent to each face.
PLAN: an octagonal single cell plan.
EXTERIOR: Early English style. Buttress at each corner. Each face has lancet window with cusped head, continuous hood-mould. Porch projects from north face with pointed arch of two orders, bell-cote over.
INTERIOR: inside it has a scissor-brace roof and original pierced wooden gates.
Bathwick or Smallcombe Cemetery, the Anglican portion of which is also known as St Mary’s Churchyard, was laid out in two phases, in 1856 and 1861 by the Bathwick Burial Board. The site is isolated, despite its proximity to the city centre and the Non-Conformist chapel stands in the western part of the cemetery, with the Anglican chapel of 1855-56 by Thomas Fuller (qv) standing in the eastern part. The eastern end of the cemetery is bounded by a coped wall with two gateways with tall, stepped piers. The cemetery includes several notable memorials, some of which are listed.
* Architectural: for its unusual and striking design, in which the octagonal plan is enhanced by bold features, such as the tall pyramidal roof, and cusped lancet windows;
* Historical: as an important feature within Smallcombe (formerly Bathwick) Cemetery, built by A S Goodridge, a noted architect from a family of Bath architects and builders;
* Group Value: with the Anglican chapel of 1855-56 by Thomas Fuller (qv) standing in the eastern part of the cemetery, and with a number of listed memorials.
Other nearby listed buildings