This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.3879 / 51°23'16"N
Longitude: -2.3624 / 2°21'44"W
OS Eastings: 374877
OS Northings: 165493
OS Grid: ST748654
Mapcode National: GBR 0Q9.X4Q
Mapcode Global: VH96M.0CFV
Entry Name: Christchurch Cottages
Listing Date: 2 December 2011
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1406355
Location: Bath and North East Somerset, BA1
County: Bath and North East Somerset
Electoral Ward/Division: Lansdown
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Built-Up Area: Bath
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
A vicarage, now two houses, built for Christ Church in 1856, probably by Thomas Fuller.
A vicarage, now two houses, built for Christ Church (qv). Dated 1856 with C20 additions. Probably by Thomas Fuller.
MATERIALS: limestone rubble with ashlar dressings to front and left side, limestone ashlar to right side and rear, roofs have concrete tiles to front and left side, pantiles to rear and inner slopes, ashlar stacks to gable ends of rear wings.
PLAN: each of an L-plan with a wing to the rear.
EXTERIOR: two storeys and attic, two-window fronts in the Tudorbethan style. First floor has to the left (No.1) three-light timber casement with horizontal glazing bars and shouldered head to each light in splayed reveal, similar window to right (No.2). Ground floor has to left (No.1) similar two-light window flanked by similar single-light window set on corners of projecting gabled portion splayed to form quasi-bay window to ground floor, to right (No.2) similar three-light window and plank door with glazed panel and C19 ironmongery in splayed reveal with painted moulded head. Attic has similar two-light windows in gable to left and gabled dormer to right. Projecting gabled centre to left (No.1) corbelled out over ground floor, relieving arches over all openings, triangular opening in gable to left, moulded coping to gable and gabled dormer. Datestone over door to right incised ‘AD MDCCCLVI’. Left side is entrance front to No.1, in similar style with similar two-light windows to first floor and ground floor, single-light casement in gabled dormer, similar plank door. Date-stone over door incised ‘NISI DOMINU AD MDCCCLVI’. Rear and left side in a plainer style with C19 and C20 windows.
INTERIORS: not inspected.
Thomas Fuller, who altered Christ Church in 1855, worked from an office nearby at No.13 Vineyards (qv). In 1859 he was successful in the competition for the new Government House in Ottawa and subsequently emigrated to Canada.
* Architectural: as a former rectory of 1856, with a distinctive Tudorbethan design, including noteworthy features, such as the corbelled-out projecting bay to left (No. 1) and the timber casements with shouldered heads;
* Historical: as the former vicarage to Christ Church, thought to have been built by local architect Thomas Fuller, who altered the church in 1855;
* Group Value: with Christ Church, to south, and with the former tennis court building, now a museum, immediately to north; both are listed at Grade II.
Other nearby listed buildings