This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.3787 / 51°22'43"N
Longitude: -2.38 / 2°22'48"W
OS Eastings: 373646
OS Northings: 164469
OS Grid: ST736644
Mapcode National: GBR 0QG.K2V
Mapcode Global: VH96L.PLMZ
Entry Name: Oldfield Park Baptist Church and attached Sunday School
Listing Date: 1 December 2011
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1406447
Location: Bath and North East Somerset, BA2
County: Bath and North East Somerset
Electoral Ward/Division: Westmoreland
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Built-Up Area: Bath
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
Church. 1902. By Silcock and Reay.
MATERIALS: limestone ashlar with tiled roofs.
PLAN: rectangular plan. The church is behind the entrance vestibule with offices behind church. The Sunday School projects perpendicularly to the south.
EXTERIOR: tripartite entrance-front of three bays surmounted by a pediment. The central pedimented doorway sits within a tall channelled recess rising up through the cornice, there is an arched window above the door. There are two flanking bays framed by Corinthian pilasters which contain arched windows with corniced heads. The returns are a single bay and are also framed by Corinthian pilasters and contain one window. The side elevations have five bays between the returns, with two storeys of plain two-light windows with stone mullions, the upper range being taller. On the south elevation the left-hand bay is obscured by the projecting Sunday School which has a three-bay pedimented entrance without an order. The central door has a corniced head and an arched light above; there are sash windows with corniced heads to either side. There is a single-bay lower wing with gabled roofs on either side; which have single, two-light mullioned windows. The side elevations have five windows, and two large, pedimented dormers above.
INTERIOR: not inspected, but said to have galleries and to be little altered.
The church was built in 1902 to the designs of Silcock and Reay.
A contemporaneous Institute formerly projected beyond the Church, but was replaced by the present flats in 1986.
* Architectural interest: the building uses ashlar masonry of high quality to create a strong, Baroque design. It forms a good example of Edwardian classical Non-conformist architecture;
* Intactness: the chapel and its attached Sunday School, which are in a similar style, both survive and form a complimentary grouping.
Other nearby listed buildings