This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.3171 / 51°19'1"N
Longitude: -0.8347 / 0°50'4"W
OS Eastings: 481310
OS Northings: 158194
OS Grid: SU813581
Mapcode National: GBR C7K.CT3
Mapcode Global: VHDXN.H535
Entry Name: West Minley Farm Barn
Listing Date: 8 February 2012
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1406458
Location: Blackwater and Hawley, Hart, Hampshire, GU17
Civil Parish: Blackwater and Hawley
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: Minley
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
Barn, late C17 or early C18. Wall cladding and roof covering replaced in the C19.
MATERIALS: Timber-framed barn of five bays on an English bond brick plinth, clad in weatherboarding with a half-hipped roof covered in Welsh slates.
PLAN: Five bay barn with central cart entrances.
EXTERIOR: The south-west and north-east sides have central full-height cart entrances with C19 ledged plank double doors. The northern half of the north-east side additionally has two entrances, added when the north part of the barn was later partitioned off, probably for animal husbandry. The south-east end has a pedestrian entrance and a loading door above, both with plank doors with iron strap hinges. The north-west end has no entrances. Single-storey brick outbuildings are attached at each end but are not of special interest.
INTERIOR: The interior has an oak frame with jowled bay posts, midrail and diagonal tension braces. Some of the wall studs are reused timbers. A late C19 or early C20 wooden partition has been built across the barn dividing off the two northern bays and further partitions were erected against the lower part of the wall frame at this end. The roof structure is of queen posts with additional side struts and has two tiers of purlins with diagonal wind braces. The pegged rafters have no ridge piece. The slate battens are C19. Besides carpenters' marks there are a series of painted marks of repeated alphabetical letters F, G, K and L, particularly to the rafters of the cart entrance and the northern end, and figures indicating lengths of 2 feet and 3 feet 4 inches. The type of lettering appears to be early C19 and may indicate an earlier use of the building, possibly maritime.
The land on which West Minley Farm is situated was part of the Tylney family estates by the late C17 and became part of the Currie family estate from 1846. Raikes Currie, the original purchaser, was a partner in Glyn Mills' Bank and a former MP for Northampton. He commissioned the architect Henry Clutton to design a new house, Minley Manor, which was built between 1858 and 1860. Following the death of Raikes' grandson Laurence Currie in 1934, Bertram Francis Currie sold the complete estate of about 2500 acres to the War Department. The Ministry of Defence sold West Minley Farm in 2005. West Minley Farm Barn is shown as the south-west part of a U-shaped farm group on the First Edition 25 inch Hampshire Ordnance Survey Map of 1872 with a detached farmhouse situated to the north. The footprint is unchanged on subsequent editions.
West Minley Farm Barn, a five bay oak framed barn of late C17 or early C18 date, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Architectural: this barn has a substantially intact timber frame of late C17 or early C18 date.
* Authenticity: while unusual painted lettering suggests the possibility that the barn was moved from another site, it has certainly been on this site since 1870 and the trusses have a good series of matching carpenters' marks showing it was erected with due authenticity.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings