This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.0438 / 55°2'37"N
Longitude: -1.5311 / 1°31'52"W
OS Eastings: 430058
OS Northings: 572239
OS Grid: NZ300722
Mapcode National: GBR KBR3.9R
Mapcode Global: WHC3D.GH37
Entry Name: Backworth War Memorial
Listing Date: 12 July 2012
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1406711
Location: North Tyneside, NE27
County: North Tyneside
Electoral Ward/Division: Valley
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Built-Up Area: Backworth
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Tyne and Wear
Church of England Parish: Earsdon and Backworth
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
First World War memorial with Second World War additions in the form of a tall obelisk with incised decoration.
First World War memorial with Second World War additions.
The memorial is located at the centre of the village green; a series of six sandstone steps lead up to the monument which is of granite and comprises a stepped stone plinth and a pediment surmounted by a tall obelisk; the obelisk is decorated with flags in relief at its base on the front face, and bands of incised decorations including Greek key, palmette and pellets on the other faces. The lettering is incised and painted black using sans serif capitals throughout. The inscription on the front face of the obelisk reads: LEST WE FORGET / TO THE / HONOUR / OF OUR / GLORIOUS DEAD.
Below this on the pediment is the inscription: IN MEMORY OF / THE MEN OF BLACKWORTH & WEST HOLYWELL / WHO FELL IN THE GREAT WAR.
The names of the forty-nine fallen are listed below on the font and sides of the pedestal, and on a riser below reads: 1914-18. A step below reads 1939-45. The rear of this stone reads: IN MEMORY OF / THE MEN WHO FELL / IN THE SECOND GREAT WAR, followed by the names of the 20 Fallen.
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Online. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 8 February 2017.
After the First World War it was originally intended that there would be one war memorial for the whole district in the form of a nurses’ home on a site offered by the Duke of Northumberland. The Backworth Coal Company offered £1000 towards the cost of this, but when other places within the district had erected their own memorials and there was apparent indecision in Backworth, the money was withdrawn, and a memorial to the fallen of Backworth and West Holywell was erected by local builder J. H Taylor outside the former reading rooms. The memorial was unveiled at a ceremony on 2nd December 1922 by Col. L Taylor of Hinderside Hall, Kelso and was dedicated by Revd. E Arkless and Revd. R Davies. It was re-erected in 1948 in its present position on the village green.
Backworth war memorial is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* It is a poignant reminder of the impact of tragic world events upon an individual community
* It has strong cultural and historical significance within both a local and national context
* it is a well-executed and handsome war memorial that contributes to the local street scene
Other nearby listed buildings