This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.5909 / 50°35'27"N
Longitude: -4.4503 / 4°27'1"W
OS Eastings: 226655
OS Northings: 79660
OS Grid: SX266796
Mapcode National: GBR NG.D2PJ
Mapcode Global: FRA 17KH.XQ3
Entry Name: Milestone on N side of B3257, circa 33m NW of Cleth Cottage
Listing Date: 16 January 2012
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1406859
Location: Lewannick, Cornwall, PL15
Civil Parish: Lewannick
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Lewannick
Church of England Diocese: Truro
A milestone, dating from 1892.
A milestone, dating from 1892. The milestone is in granite, painted white and stands circa 0.69m high; it is rectangular on plan, with a cranked top. The stone is inscribed: CALLINGTON / 9 / PLYMOUTH / 22.
From the mid-C18 onwards, turnpike trusts were encouraged to provide markers such as milestones and mileposts on the stretches of roads they operated. The milestone is one of a group of 19 milestones and one guidestone set up on the road which is now the B3257, and the crossing road, the B3254, which were made main roads and adopted by Cornwall County Council in 1892; unusually for roads made main and adopted by county councils, this had not previously been a turnpike route. Public notices were placed in the Royal Cornwall Gazette in November 1890 and June 1892 detailing the stretches of road which were to be adopted from the various Highway Boards along the routes. Cornwall County Council was unique in succeeding in having milestones set up before roads could be adopted.
The milestone is marked on the 2nd edition Ordnance Survey map of 1907.
The milestone near Trevadlock Cross is designated at Grade II, for the following principal reasons:
* Intactness: it is an intact milestone dating from 1892 which remains in its original position;
* Group Value: it has group value with 19 other listed milestones and a guidestone along this main road route;
* Historic Interest: it is on one of a small number of main road routes adopted by Cornwall County Council in the late C19 which had not previously been turnpike routes.
Other nearby listed buildings